Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Saver Feature in Chrome

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12039 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1121 Solutions

Not sure if people have seen it, but Google have introduced a new feature on their Chrome browser.

Reportedly reducing the amount of data used when browsing the web by "up to 50%", this could be useful to those with limited data allowances.

More information is available here - Chrome Data Saver.

To activate this on your device:

On Android, open Chrome press the three dots to open the menu and scroll down to settings and select.

Again scroll down to find Data Saver (under advanced) and select. 

On the next page just turn it on (assuming it is off) and start reducing the amount of data it uses.

On iOS, open Chrome and settings.

Go to Advanced, and under Bandwidth select Data Saver.

Again turn the feature on.

Apparently there is also an option to do this on PCs and Chromebooks, but here it requires an extension from the Chromestore.

***Please note, I don't have an iOS device so not sure how this looks, but the instructions are the same as on the webpage linked to above.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Don't use it myself due to the compression . I have no need to save data tbh as wifi serves me well.

Screenshots_2015-12-01-18-43-26.png

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Theres also an app called Opera Max that can help reduce data consumption by up to 50%

Message 3 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

I would presume you would need to be running the Opera browser for this app to be effective, or does it run independently to use on any browser?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I would presume you would need to be running the Opera browser for this app to be effective, or does it run independently to use on any browser?

Yes you need to be using the app. Personally I don't like Opera...best suited to iphones with data issues.

Message 5 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12039 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1121 Solutions

So what does the compression do in terms of quality?

Wouldn't have thought it has much of an impact unless you're looking at lots of pictures of listening to music?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

If you want to view a website as it should be seen then compression makes a huge difference, yes images come into the equation. Personal choice but a bit like o2's adult policy, I prefer to make my own choices.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's been around on mobile chrome for years.
As you say, it will help those with a low data allowance but of no use to me whatsoever.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Thought it wasn't new, I've had this option since I've been coming to Thailand. Won't ever use it....

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Me neither....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10