cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer services say they can't transfer former Virgin numbers to new O2 phone contracts

ExVirginUser
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone offer a workaround?

I bought a new pay monthly phone for my wife on O2 via Mobile Phone Direct. She already had an O2 SIM only contract which had started as a Virgin Mobile account, so I thought it would be a simple matter to transfer that number to the new phone.

I rang customer service to see why the old number hadn't transferred to the SIM that came with the new phone several days after I set it up. I was told that they are not currently able to move these former Virgin numbers to new O2 contracts and they have no date confirmed for this problem to be fixed.

That means if my wife wants to keep her old number, I'm going to have to continue paying for both phone contracts! I can't even "leave" the old O2 account by requesting a PAC code, apparently. 

Surely there has to be some workaround other than either losing the old phone number or continuing to pay two bills.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12395 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1149 Solutions

If you haven't already tried, then maybe messaging the social media teams to see if they have a handle on this @Janx1975 

Might also be worth checking what is going on @Dave-O2 (or @Chris_K or @ColinO2 )

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 35

Janx1975
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the replies - I have sent a message to O2 on Facebook without a reply as of yet.

The Wife has spoken with O2 yet again today to be told:

1. She is a virgin mobile customer (queue 10 minute dialogue of her trying to explain whilst being rudely over-talked by the "advisor") - she isnt a virgin mobile customer as we have o2 bills since June.

2. That her number that she wanted to keep has been "terminated" as we used a PAC code when we didnt need to.

She is distraught after trying to explain to an Indian call center for the past 30 minutes - what she can explain in 1 sentance. Its heart breaking how poor O2 202 service is. She needs the number for on-call and interviews incoming for a new job.

Has she lost her number completely? or as the low-tech call center staff just not understanding her? 

Message 12 of 35

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @gmarkj 

@Janx1975 Can you please drop me a PM with the mobile number that came with your O2 SIM?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 13 of 35

ST8
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

Unfortunately that doesn't have anything about legacy VM o2 to o2.

I talked to o2 this morning and was again told it simply isn't possible for them to do but the legacy VM migration is happening in December and it WILL be possible after that.

Message 14 of 35

GMphone5685903
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same issue as those mentioning above. Have just bought a new phone contract for my mum on o2 via affordable mobiles. She has an account with o2 and we rang yesterday to check upgrade prices and it was very expensive so we opted for a deal from affordable mobiles. We are on the phone to O2 who have said the same as others - that because she has been transferred from Virgin Media they are unable to do an o2 to o2 switch. Absolutely ridiculous! Spoke to 2 different people so far and no confirmation of timescales or a solution. Concerned as not sure how easy it will be to return the phone given we’ve got it up and running with an iCloud backup.

Not sure what to do at all… 

Message 15 of 35

MI5
  • 147166 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

@GMphone5685903 

Get your PAC from O2 for your number then move to another network PAYG sim.

Then get PAC from that sim and port back into your new O2 account.

A faff for sure, but quicker than waiting for O2 to get their act together.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 35

GMphone5685903
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good suggestion… I’m just worried about her losing her number which she really wants to keep. 

I’m going to call o2 tomorrow and probe again. 

So porting out of o2 to another network isn’t an issue. It’s just from virgin media to o2?

Message 17 of 35

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93341 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

This is the customer service advice @MI5 

But what a joke that customer service are clueless to deal with a simple migration

Quite tragic isn't it!

Message 18 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147166 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28299 Solutions

It's pathetic but short term, the only way to fix it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 19 of 35

Janx1975
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

All sorted now thanks to the heroic efforts of @Dave-O2 

Many thanks!

Message 20 of 35