Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community next?

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So we have seen over the last month that Telefonica are cutting costs quite severely, in my opinion they are now out to make up the drastic shortfall in profits reduced very substantially by the new EU roaming legislation.

Three apps designed to save their customers' costs have now been withdrawn. It's surely no coincidence that this has happened barely three months after having to remove the throttling they have applied for years which they attempted to convince us was a temporary measure designed to alleviate the congestion caused by so many people now taking advantage of the roam like home features.

So what next? Priority? Or even the future of this very community? I'm sure the savings would be immense in salaries and rewards. 

Comment and discuss please and input from admin would be very welcome @Martin-O2 @MercedesS @Marjo

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
I don’t think it’s cost-cutting, I think it’s about revenue generation and profit. They are a business after all.

And voicing a different opinion doesn’t mean I’m lookin for a “rise” out of anyone. It’s about a sensible discussion on a subject I’m interested in.

Ewan
Message 31 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@ewanrw wrote:
I don’t think it’s cost-cutting, I think it’s about revenue generation and profit. They are a business after all.

And voicing a different opinion doesn’t mean I’m lookin for a “rise” out of anyone. It’s about a sensible discussion on a subject I’m interested in.

Ewan

It's cost cutting. It is also showing lack of care for customers who rely on it and not providing them with an acceptable alternative.

I realise you are looking at this from a business perspective. Sadly the majority of users don't have that luxury. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 42

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We’re all in business one way or another and many of us have our own customers and we know what will happen if they aren’t treated with respect.
Do o2 really think they are so important that they can justify these descisions without regard for the people who pay their wages?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I will point out that I have worked in business...One of the biggest in the UK, which is the NHS. I have seen a lot of cost cutting exercises. There is no benefit to any of our clients at all...it purely improves the balance sheets at the end of the year. This is exactly what O2 are doing now

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 42

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
MI5,

They don’t need to justify their decision to anyone bar their board and shareholders. Decisions like this are made many quarters in advance, and they have teams of analysts looking at trends to help make their decision. Somewhere on some board report there will be a fairly accurate number of customer that O2 expect to lose from this decision, and it clearly isn’t enough to concern them whether you or anyone else likes it.

Ewan
Message 35 of 42

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Fully aware of that thanks.
Also fully aware of how I am going to react to it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ewanrw They should justify it appropriate to the big mistake they have made & lots of customers will sadly lose out & will jump off a sinking ship to get some sort of network that works for them not shareholders pockets 

Message 37 of 42

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@ewanrw you may not think it's cost-cutting but many of us disagree.

And whilst you say you are voicing a different opinion, which you are well within your rights to do, it's how you voice that opinion. I find your tone condescending. Because you work in the industry and we don't you know best.

Here's the thing we are all speaking as O2 customers and users of the services that are being cut. Or if, as is my case, don't use the services but appreciate their benefits to others.

We are also entitled to our opinions and, at the end of the day, it's our money that keeps O2 in business. And whilst I doubt our leaving will bankrupt O2, enough of us going will hurt.

Oh and how many new signings will there be when these 3 services go. After all the new iPhone, Samsung Note8 and Galaxy S8 and S8+ are all offered by the other major networks, of which O2 is the smallest, in many cases on better terms.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 38 of 42

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello guys, 

Thanks for participating in this discussion and sharing your thoughts on this. We do appreciate your opinion and understand your concerns about TU go.

However, please be aware that this discussion has become off-topic and personal. Therefore, we have removed some comments.

As you all may know, the O2 Community is a great place to discuss and share your opinions so keep your feedback coming.

To make sure it remains an enjoyable place have a look at guidelines.

Thanks again thumbsup

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 39 of 42

ewanrw
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Three have the smallest customer base and lowest level of spectrum. O2 and Voda are fairly close on customer base with EE way out in front. For now. And none offer anything like TU Go.

Wasn’t mean to be condescending, more trying to get across the perspective I’m taking on the decision.

Sure this will all be forgotten soon enough and probably won’t be long until a discussion pops up about who is having most success with alternative apps and solutions.

Ewan

Message 40 of 42