Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges while abroad

jumbani
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My latest bill includes £8.33 for data browsing or downloads while abroad.  It occurred when I went to Qatar.  I didn't do any browsing or other conscious downloading and I turned off mobile data within five minutes of landing.  I suspect the phone was automatically downloading something, possible emails.  I know I should have turned off mobile data or roaming before leaving home and the charge is probably within the rules but I think it's unreasonable and people should be warned.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10189 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@jumbani 

To be fair, the phone warns you when you turn mobile data roaming on that you can expect additional charges when it is turned on. 

And to be honest we have all had mobile phones for long enough now to know when you leave the UK charges can be expected especially outside of the EU, o2 don't need to warn you of anything. 

I am sorry but just put it down to experience and move on. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Five minutes is ample time to use over a MB when apps will be updating things such as time zone and weather in the background

At £7.20 per MB it's expensive

Thankfully you turned mobile data off within 5 minutes otherwise things could really be much worse

We always advise turning data off at the UK airport as soon as you board

Message 3 of 3