cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a a faulty phone...What is O2's policy?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had 3 faulty Dell Streak phones from 02, and although i love the phone I feel that it is not one that I trust any more to work properly.
Anyhow I have gone through O2's process and was told after a third faulty phone that I would be able to change it for a different model. I feel I have been very patient with this phone and the manager of the shop agreed with me that I could change the phone. However he has recently told me that the powers that be (area manager?) are saying that I can only exchange this for another Dell Streak. That is a FOURTH phone in lees than a year.
Now according to the manager in the shop after a third faulty phone I should be able to exchange for a similar phone...So I filled in the form with him, he said I couldn't chose an Iphone 4 and or a Blackberry. I chose a Samsung galaxy S2.
Now after a 2 weeks wait I have been told I have to have another Dell Streak, and 'fingers crossed' it will be OK. But so far it has taken between 2 - 3 months for the phone to o wrong again. Now I feel I don't want to be lumbered with a phone in one years time that doesn't work and I am out of contract and so have no comeback with O2...
Where do I stand with O2. As they keep exchanging the phone because it keeps going wrong but now say I can't change the make of the phone.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Joe
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you speak to the O2 store, bear in mind that:
(1.). they won't be doing the replacement themselves, as the replacements will almost certainly all be 2nd hand (brand new replacements are within 28 days of the contract starting). They're meant to be checked and tested before they're sent out again.
(2.). they might just be agreeing with you to get you out of the store and direct your complaint somewhere else, so they can sell more phones
The online adviser though sounds like a nightmare, think it might be handled by O2's team in India?
Message 21 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
@ chunky, I doubt that'll ever be allowed, stores are often franchised and even if they aren't they have different stock allocation to the web site or CS staff. if the store manage could authorise a replacement out of his own stock, then the OP would presumably have it already...
as for the options you've been given, a refurb phone is pretty much the only option you have mid contract as has been pointed out, you're pretty lucky to have had a new one (if it was new...) before. as for getting a SGS2. I don't think that's going to happen, it is way out of the Dell's league, much more than a replacement. The desire S is certainly the best on the list from my point of view, maybe not the biggest screen, but certainly feature wise it is more than capable of everything you've requested. it's a much faster processor, better memory, more up to date android version, i can't see a reason to turn it down. I'd worry if you push to hard for the SGS2 that you'll end up with nothing. But the cynical side of my brain says you're fishing for a free upgrade, if as you say you don't know much about phones, I can't see why you wouldn't take one on their list.....
check the link for a comparison between the desire s and the dell.
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3353&idPhone2=3776
JOJO
Message 22 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jojojj,
The replacements I have had, have never been boxed in and sealed. They were all in brown boxes.
As to a 'free upgrade'...in a way, yes I suppose...but my initial problem started out as a not having a phone that worked for longer than 4 months before a problem occurred. It was the shop staff who set me off on the thought of a replacement being a Sam. S2 not me. In the shop I was wanting a NEW Dell Streak as opposed to what I deemed a refurbed Streak for my fourth handset.
It is certainly creating an interesting discussion from my point of view...
Joe slight_smile
Message 23 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moral of this story... Never ever EVER contact o2 out of working hours, that online chat is comedy gold!!!
Message 24 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well thanks to all of you who contributed to the discussion and helped me get a new phone.
I have ended up with a reboxed Samsung Galaxy S2...looks brand new and unused.
It took a few emails but to be fair to O2 they have come up with the goods, so well done.
I now hope this phone doesn't go wrong...
Thanks again prking for your initial help.

Joe
Message 25 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad you are reasonably satisfied Joe, reasonably as you had a lot of hassle. O2 are no worse than the rest to be honest and there is always going to be hassle sometimes.
Brendan
Message 26 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Joe,
I've just read your whole forum post and I'd like to say firstly:
Well Done - you have managed to get your way
but I want to recommend you some phones (seeing as I know abit about them) Personally I would say DON'T get another Dell Streak. -- It would make all this a waste of time. Personally I think you should look more at HTC. I have an HTC desire s which was on your list. It is a great phone, quite cheap, amazingly quick internet, front facing camera, amazing rear camera and the great android OS latest system 2.3. The Samsung galaxy s1 is also a very high rated phone. The HTC wildfire and the ones towards the bottom of your long list really AREN'T worth getting. They have low processing powers and if u want to get them u would have just been better off with another dell. Personally I believe the HTC desire S is the best. I've had it for a while and it hasn't failed me at all - - very handy, easy to use. Not too different to an iPhone 4 or even 4s ... oh and it also has voice recognition (this means you can speak to search google/ text and navigate to places) it is really cool! Good Luck! grin
Message 27 of 27