cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant return a damaged mobile phone that is insured?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all my mobiles with O2 and until today had no complaints.

My daughter’s mobile was damaged on Saturday. I went to an O2 shop that I use all the time and was told I had to report it over the phone. When I did, I was told they were too busy to deal with my call and could I ring back on the Monday (today). Good customer service right there.

I made the call as they requested, but was told i can’t return my damaged mobile because they can’t see when it was last used. I explained they had sent a text to it with a security code that very morning and I was using it as I spoke to them. None of this evidence mattered. I was told I would have to ring again in the afternoon, or the following day. I asked what if they still could still not see any evidence of use (even though they admitted I was indeed using it as we were speaking) and they could not answer.

In other words, it would appear I am stuck with a broken phone that is insured, but I can’t return because they have a problem their end (they admitted it during the conversation). It was apparently a companywide issue (since Saturday) and no one will be able to return their phone at the moment.

Is this true, no one is able to return a phone if broken at the moment?

I am perplexed and disappointed with this poor customer service. It would be interesting to know if they told me the truth about the issue being companywide. I assume the calls are recorded so they could verify this has been said to me?

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They will try to renage on any claim if the IMEI or phone number has changed which is why I suggested checking My O2. It would seem there is no possible excuse for not filling in a claim form. To be honest, once you sort this you need to consider alternate insurance such as home contents or bank account insurance. All much cheaper and less hassle.

Message 11 of 35

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
In that case Hang up and call again until you get an agent to help you..

Actually they can ask you to complete a claim form it tells you on the home page for insurance even links to it.. How to submit a claim

""Just call O2 customer services to submit a claim. You might be asked to fill out a claim form. ""

Dont do this via Live Chat
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

All,

Thank you for your posts so far,

Just called again and have got nowhere. Being told the same thing again. Although this time see admitted some phones were being returned. Apparently I have to wait until they call me back some time in the future. She couldnt tell me when. She then put the phone down on me after i kept asking to see a manager.

Getting a bit frustrated. I thought it would be easy process, not sure why im spending £6 a month on insurance, when i cant even use it. Saw me coming a mile off.

Message 13 of 35

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
@Toby is this something you can assist with?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
@Toby is this something you can assist with?

Already mentioned in my first post @MI5. (Just saying :smileywink:) Also the link I gave re O2 insure actually takes the customer  to the claim form that they can complete?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 35

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Doesn't hurt to keep him on his toes wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 35

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 17 of 35

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm Toby, the community head. Welcome!

Feel free to send me a private message and we can have a chat about how to resolve this.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 35

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Yup I agree, in fact O2 insure's incompetence saved me money as I cancelled after realising our contents cover give me similar coverage already.

Don't give up @Anonymous
Message 19 of 35

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I had a new phone in November (OnePlus 3T), but a couple of days before Christmas I had a bike accident and the phone got damaged.  The damage was only superficial as it didn't effect the working of the phone but obviously didn't look nice. 

I reported my accident to O2 insurance, who just asked me for a quick account of how it got damaged and what was damaged.  They then processed my claim and less than a week later I received my replacement brand spanking new phone, with the old phone returned to O2.

So my experience of O2 insurance was very satisfactory.  Sounds like you may have got through to somebody who clearly isn't happy in their job, as that level of Customer Service is totally unacceptable.

Thanks

Steve
Message 20 of 35