Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot unlock my old iPhones

Ziggy1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Please help. I have been trying to unlock 4 of my old iPhones (5 & 6, fully paid) from the O2 network. I have followed all the steps in the various forums, O2 guide etc (before you ask) and nothing works. Each time I get “ I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your device at this time. The reason given is: The IMEI - *********[IMEI no]*** has not been used on our network with the MPN provided, so it will not be possible to unlatch it. Thank you, O2 Customer Service.” I have kept the same phone number over the years and [stupidly] stayed with O2. I simply wish to sell my old phones and want to unlock them before I do so. The frustration over this is huge and quite frankly makes me want to never use O2 again! I have paid for these phones so it is outrageous that they are still locked to O2! Any help gratefully received, thank you!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Ziggy1 

They will have dropped off the system so you need to put your sim back in them and use then on O2 so the system picks them up again.

Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10160 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3009 Solutions
@Ziggy1

This was the norm back in 2012 and 2014 when these devices where released and this isn't unique to any UK network at the time.

As @MI5 says put your o2 sim in the handset for a few hours and let it register on o2's network and you should have the ability to get them unlocked.

The alternative is to find somewhere that unlocks iPhones and they will do it for you for a price (around £20 per phone)
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 5

Ziggy1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorted! Thanks for your help!
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You're welcome
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5