cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 08458630287

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since I got my iphone I have been getting several calls a day from08458630287. When I answer - nothing just silence and then a disconnect. I rang back I the message says thatnks for calling O2 sorry we missed you and will try again. Is this O2? Does anyone know what its about? Its really beginning to annoy me.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not O2... The number is provided by Opal Telecom, which has no affiliation with O2 to the best of my knowledge...

Most likely a scam of some sort - I would report it to Opal Telecom
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I emailed customer support and got the following reply

Thank you for contacting customer service.
I'm sorry to hear you have been receiving unwanted calls from 08458630287, calls from this number are to welcome you to the network.
I have now updated your account to show that you do not want any O2 marketing calls.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We hope your query has been resolved. If you should have any further questions, please visit our online Help Centre at:
http://www.o2.co.uk/help
Kind regards,
Jennifer
O2 Customer Service.

And guess what they seem to have stopped - fingers crossed.
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its definetly o2!

Its a marketing call but sometimes they have been known to offer early upgrades! so might be a good idea to speak to them if they call slight_smile
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nonsense its a scam! I purchased my Sony X1 from CPW, within 2-3 days this 08458630287 number called saying they were from O2 and offered 50% insurance!
Straight away I knew that companies will not make offers on set insurance prices. Not only that I said to the chap on the phone that I will only deal with O2 if I phoned them direct. He didn’t understand as to why I thought this was sensible. He came across somewhat retarded and not professional in his manner!

Following day I telephoned the insurance division of O2 and explained what happened. They insisted that O2 would not make offers on insurance and that call was not legitimate. Be warned.
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally there are people posting on forums that this number/company is legitimate etc. I think they are probably working for the company and posting such comments.
Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was called today from that number and they asked for my account password, which I refused to give. They then asked for the answer to my security question. This didn't sound right to me, so he said he would add a note to my account, so I could call up myself.

Is this legit, or a scam? Potentially serious if they are getting people's login details?
Message 7 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93902 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions
I was called today from that number and they asked for my account password, which I refused to give. They then asked for the answer to my security question. This didn't sound right to me,

Never ever give security details to someone who calls you.They are implying that they know the details and ask you to confirm them. Don't! Take their number and name and then call o2 customer services to see if the call is genuine.
You can Google the telephone number 08458630287 and see from the posts that this happens to loads of people who have just taken out a contract.If your phone has the facility to block a number then personally I would block it.
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I never answer calls on my mobile unless I know who it is.

I recieved a phone call from 0845 863 0287 yesterday and never answered it (as I didn't know who it was) I dialed the number back to find out it was O2.

I sent them an email asking why I had been contacted and the reply I got today was that it was just a call to see of I was happy with the service I'm recieving.

So I left it at that, got another call today from 0845 863 0287 so I answered it knowing it was O2.

Yes it was O2 but it turned out it was a sales call.

I don't know how it happened but my thumb seemed to have hit the disconnect button on my iPhone wink
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just got my new O2 phone on Wednesday and have been receiving calls from this number ever since, after reading some of the posts on this forum I emailed O2 to find out if they were behind the calls. Their reponse is below;

"Good morning

Thanks for your email. I understand that you've received 18 missed calls from 08458630287 whilst at work and you've realised that it's an O2 related number.

We appreciate that receiving unwanted calls on your phone can be cause for concern. Let me see what best I can do for you.

I've checked your account and I see that you haven't selected any option to receive any notification from us for marketing purpose. Unfortunately, we're unable to trace this number. If you're receiving calls from sales and marketing companies, then please register with the telephone preference service to prevent further calls. To get more information you can click on the link below:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

This may take up to 40 days to be fully compliant or by calling TPS Registration line on 0845 070 0707.

Please use the link below to view advice that has been compiled, in association with our nuisance call bureau to help you deal with any unwanted contacts:

http://www.o2.co.uk/services/childprote ... phonecalls

If you'd like to take further action, there are two ways which we can help you:

1) Change your mobile phone number: If this is the first time you've reported receiving nuisance or malicious calls, then we can change your phone number free of charge. If you've already had your phone number changed within the past 12 months, your next number change will be charged at £35 and this cost will be applied to your next bill.

2) Investigation by the nuisance call bureau: If you don't want to change your phone number or you have had a number change in the past and this hasn't stopped the calls, we'll pass your details onto our nuisance call bureau. They'll contact you within three working days to get further information from you. Please note that this call will come from a withheld number.

Once you've considered the options carefully and decided on what you'd like to do, please reply to this email stating your preferred option. I hope this helps and if you've any further questions, please feel free to email me or visit our online Help Centre at: http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/help When you email us please provide: your full name, first line of address with postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Kind regards
Rakesh
O2 customer service"

Seems to me that this number is very much a scam!
Message 10 of 23