Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy, set up and courier a phone to a COVID patient

A_Brit_Abroad
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I assume O2 shops are not open at the moment ?

I live abroad and my elderly father is in a COVID ward and does not have a mobile phone.  He has a landline on an 0872 number which, as Premium rate, is blocked by either O2 or the international operator here (O2 are investigating).

Ideally I would like to buy another cheap O2 burner/dumb phone, and buy a SIM, add it to my O2 account have it topped up and couriered to an address at the hospital and they will arrange to deliver it to him in the ward as the whole hospital is closed to the public.

Anyone got any suggestions as I cannot buy a phone and SIM seperately as my aged father will never manage to get it set up and sorted out on his own.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@A_Brit_Abroad 

The only problem with that is O2 will deliver only to the UK address of the account holder

If you have any friends or relatives in the UK, they could buy a phone from Tesco (or Amazon) and a PAYG sim and send it to your dad? (If they are able to set it up before they send it?)

Unless anyone has a better idea, that's the only thing I can think of?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

A_Brit_Abroad
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - no UK relatives, friends etc as I wouldnt want to risk them getting the virus either.

I would have hoped there would be a special setup for quarantine wards hospitals but it appears everyone else does as you suggest.

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@A_Brit_Abroad 

The only other suggestion (and it's a long shot) is you ring customer services, explain the situation and see if they can help in anyway.

All the numbers are in this link

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Or another thought, are YOU able to buy a phone for your Dad and send it to him? Yes I know that would take ages but I'm struggling to think of a way round this. slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

A_Brit_Abroad
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you all - I am going to have to go down the 'friend' route who will sort out the phone if I get them the SIM card and then get a courier pickup to deliver it.  The attraction of putting them both on an O2 tariff will be the free O2 to O2 ca.lls as the bedside telephones in UK hospitals are run by a company whoc charge 70p+ per minute ..... 

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good luck @A_Brit_Abroad 

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

Stay safe.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6