cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Screen Dell Streak

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Dell Streak display is ruined, a thumb sized what looks like crack in the LCD is bleeding across the screen. The Streak was in inside my handbag, I did not drop my handbag at any more height than anyone would when putting it on the floor or on a table, I did not trap it any doors and it was not next to any keys or anything so why is it broken? So I Google the problem and find that there are others that this has happened to, these people have maintained that they also did not put any undue pressure on the screen so what is this, is it manufacturers design flaw? On one forum someone pointed out that if you run your finger across the top of a Streak on one side the screen was flush with the casing, however the other was not! I looked at mine and found exactly the same. There is someone else locally who has a Streak who I asked and his screen was slightly higher on one complete side! So this is different again.... Could the LCD be under stress when holding the Streak in landscape and say texting or something along those lines? It may have Gorilla Glass but could this be like putting a steel door on a balloon? My first experience with o2 at the shop was as predicted on the internet not good, not interested in anything I had to say and despite the phone being pristine,I was quote as "physical damage" and that was how it was to be sent back. According to my consumer rights I should be offered a "loan" replacement handset of the same ability, I was offered a crappy baseline Nokia with little or no internet capability despite my paying £40 p/m for all the bells and whistles, they had the cheek to want me to pay £25 deposit for this pleasure. The manager told me I was lucky to be offered even this as the provision of any phone was at o2's discretion. I also have to point out that the nice lady on o2 customers service line, the two assistants and the manager appeared to have no product knowledge of the Dell Streak, I know its relatively new but seriously, what's the point of having a shop if you dont know how your products work? I await my repair reply due in 5 days with interest. I have the names of all the Telefonika Board Members and email / location addresses, they will all be hearing from me if this does not go well. I cant believe how quick my first experience with o2 has been soured so soon after taking out a premium contract. I was made to feel like a criminal in the shop, at best an annoying inconvenience. I never had this problem with Vodafone customer services from 1994 to 2001 and then Orange 2001 till last month. Even my sons payg handset was replaced without quibble with a similar screen issue last year when certain Nokias had potentialy but yet to be proved screen issues. I have 23 more months of this...sigh..... sorry for ranting, where else am I going to be able to do this!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Read the document here.

and write with your complaint here ::

O2 Complaint Review Service
complaintreviewservice@o2.com 

Tell them: 
• Your name and address 
• Your mobile and account numbers 
• A daytime phone number 

• A suggestion of how they can put things right
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Google for the Sales Of Goods Act.

Know your rights !
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is exactly what has happened to me. Got my streak out of my bag (it sits in its own pocket so it doesnt get knocked) and the lcd has cracked in the corner and bled out all over the screen.

I rang my local o2 shop and they wouldnt believe me when I said I had nothing to do with the problem it just occured.

As I didnt want to take out insurance when I bought it they want to charge me £140 to replace the screen, even though its still in warranty.

Im so frustrated, I don't have a £140 to spend on fixing a problem that I didnt cause.

What can I do??

I would be really interested to hear what happens to your Streak Disco77.
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine is broken too. It seems O2 are just not interested unless you have paid the insurance. The Streak is faulty . There are lots of threads on the internet with people with the same problem. Mine broke after a car journey and it was still in the cloth pouch that Dell provide. Not a mark on the gorilla protection screen and never been dropped.

I have never had a single screen on any mobile broken, but the Dell with its tough so called gorilla screen to protect the LCD failed.

A warranty on a mobile is worth nothing if the screen goes becasue everyone assume you dropped it.
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
update on my situation

I rang customer services, who after initially blaming me for breaking the phone, spoke to their "repair dept" and told me that as I bought the phone in store I had to return the phone in store to get it repaired.

I asked if that meant any store, to which the rep said no, it has to be the store you purchased it from.

Unfortunately for me the store I purchased it from is a 130 mile round trip from where I live. When I mentioned this the rep did what I can only describe as a verbal shrug and said I could try another store but it would probably be pointless.

If I have to pay for the repair this is going to turn into one very expensive fault, that I am not happy about.

I have half written an essay of a complaint and saved it to my draft emails of whats happened so far so that I can update it with the rest of this debacle before sending it off.
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your contract is with o2 as a business, not o2 as a particular shop.

Dont be fobbed off.

If i was you i would be bringing dell in on this too.

Go see citizens advice.
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got my Streak yesterday, had it on my desk at work today, and while working at my computer my arm inadvertently rested on the LCD and it broke.

The outer glass is literally immaculate, as is all the housing. I cannot believe that I've just spent so much on something that broke so easily. I've had an iphone for years without no problems with the LCD/glass at all, and I was being a lot more careful with the streak due to its larger screen.

I'm literally stunned at how easily the LCD has smashed, especially when the build quality seems so high in every other way.
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
And another one.
I bought my Dell Streak from a Carphone Warehouse, plus in addition signed up to an O2 contract.
Less than a month later the screen is broken. I kept it at all times in the Carphone Warehouse case I bought with it, and it was not dropped or otherwise damaged. I like the device, and it is now useless.
CPW shop told me it was accidental damage and would cost 150 quid to repair - which is ridiculous.
Anyone know where I should go from here?
Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I sent a complaint as per my post earlier but two days before their call back, I got a call saying that there was a new Streak ready for me and free of charge! So someone believed my comments about it being a QC issue.

So, despite a #### shop experience I have nothing but praise for the repair boys at o2. Oh and I was given another battery (worth £50) and a goodwill gesture of a months contract payment for the misery I experienced in the shop. I have insurance but didnt have to invoke it, so you guys should get the same treatment eh?! Good luck and go for it. I have just upgraded my firmware to 2.1 Eclair and its twice as good as it was, faster and with the frankly amazing Swype keyboard interface added, the Streak is a very credible challenge to the iphone finally. Peeing my pants waiting for 2.2 Froyo and 3.0 Gingerbread....
Message 10 of 19