cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt-on went on the wrong iPhone - feeling conned by O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this legal? My BT line died so I used the O2 iPhone App to purchase a £30 data Bolt-on. 
Unfortunately I have my wife’s mobile phone in the same account as mine 
and I accidentally bought it for her device (an iPhone 5SE) instead of 
mine (an iPhone 5S).

When using the app the only clue that you are buying for one device or the other is the ‘E’ (in 5SE) at the top of the screen. For someone like myself who rarely uses the app, the obvious assumption is that you are 
buying the bolt-on for the device you are using. I immediately called 100 (when my wife got a message to alert her) and asked to cancel her bolt-on but was told that wasn’t possible - computer says NO!

So I had to buy another 12GB bolt-on for my own phone.

Why wasn’t it possible to cancel the order—which might even be a legal requirement under distance selling rules? Was it really beyond the capability of O2's systems to either transfer her bolt-on to my phone, or even change the bolt on to a smaller data amount? In the end, all the operator could offer was a £9 refund. 

Our broadband is now working (7 days ahead of schedule) and we are back to normal, operating with the usually adequate 500MB allowance; so clearly my wife isn’t going to use a fraction of the 12GB data allowance - I want a refund but contacting someone at O2 with authority seems to be impossible.

I have been a loyal O2 customer ever since the iPhone was invented but this lack of flexibility has me looking elsewhere - very disappointed.

JEH

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10670 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3095 Solutions

The app shows all phone numbers under the bill, so not sure how you can blame a missing E, you messed up im afraid.

Bolt-ons arent covered by distance selling rules, they are an additional service as an addon to your contract.

Also bolt ons are non refundable, once bought that its and all networks are the same...

Im sorry but put this one down to experience and to double check what you are buying and what for.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147046 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
You can try calling again and see if a different agent will help you better as they do vary.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93318 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Also try the link for live chat on the complaints page. They are normally UK based and sympathetic. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 4 of 4