cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Cheating by O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whenever I dial 800 number (which is supposed to be free) with preceeding zero, I have been advised to dial without preceeding 0 to make the calls free of cost, by O2 system

But this month I end up getting huge bill only because of a signle 800 number (08000731685). This is unfortunately a customer care number. So I have been forced to be on hold for longer duration.

Cost of the callse made only to this number is equivalent to my monthly rental cost!
I still left with 300 unused mints

i think O2 has started making different cheap and cheating tactics to make money frm the customer

In addition to this, I have been forced to sign a insurance while purchasing this mobile. I was told, it is free for first two months and I need to extend if i like to do so.

I have informed several times not to extend insurance. In spite of that, I have been deducted for insurance continously.

thatz the reason, this bloody guys ask for direct debit.

Big Cheaters on the earth!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as the o800 no.s not being free, well 0800 no.s have been chargeable for a few years now. The deal with your insurance then that is definately a problem at their end as they should have cancelled it immediately upon your request. If your paying for it separately i.e by a separate direct debit (not having insurance myself i dont know how its paid) then simply cancel the direct debit at your bank.

I dont understand how you were forced to take out the insurance......they offer it to you, you delcine it if you dont want it - simple as that.
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
reg 800 number, ok i agree it is chargeable for years now.
for an emergency i have to use the number by knowing it is chargeable.
But when i dial 08000731685 why should i get response saying
"Pls dial without prefix 0, to make this call free of charge from your mobile" ??

So, I was misleaded to use this number without prefix 0 thinking that it was free.
I end up spending more mins with customer care and paying heafty bills
Is it my resp to research and find out, it is wrong message by the system and i need to ignore??

when i contacted customer care. "Sorry we cant help. you need to pay. I dont know why you get such message".
if so why should i get such misleading information whenever i call. This provkes me to use my mobile to call this number

reg insurance, there was no option to ignore the insurance. I was told it is compulsory for 2 months for which I dont need to pay anything and was forced to take!!. Even I tried to negotiate, even it is free i want without insurance.
Response was "I am afraid, I cant give without you completing insurance application form?"
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
when i dial 08000731685 why should i get response saying
"Pls dial without prefix 0, to make this call free of charge from your mobile" ??

Are you sure thats what you hear? When I dial an 0800 number I hear "dialing this number is not free from a mobile. Please redial without the leading zero".
Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, regarding the free 0800 no,s i have just dialled three free phone no. and it clearly says (as it has for a long long time)"access to the number you have dialed is not free of charge from mobile phones, please redial without the first zero". It is an automated messeage, i dialed three free phone numbers (including the o2 free phone upgrade no and the 08000731685,) and got the same message each time. Im sorry but it clearly states its not free.

The insurance problem is something your going to have to take up with customer care at o2, i suggest perhaps if you get no where again with them then go to retentions and say you want to cancel as they have failed on numerous occations to stop your insurance upon request.

I have been an o2 customer for 6yrs and have two accounts with them and i have never been told i have to take out compusory insurance (regardless of how long its free for) with any of my phones. Sure ive been offered it but i have always declined and that was the end of it. If i was you i would check that you have not been miss sold the insurance as if you have then that is illegal.
Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where did you get your phone from?

Because o2's insurance has no seperate direct debit and is charged on your monthly bill.

So if you have a direct debit set up for insurance it will be a 3rd party company that has sold you the insurance, for example if you bought your phone from Phones 4 u or Carphone Warehouse.
Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also when calling o2 customer care from a short code or an 08 number the call is still free from your o2 mobile.
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
08numbers have been chargeable by O2 since Sept 2007. It clearly states this in your T&Cs, any O2 staff member would have advised this and when you call through to 0800 731 685, it clearly states ' Access to the number you have dialed is not free of charge from mobile phones, please redial from the first zero.' O2 can't really make it clearly than that. Having dialed without the first zero then confirms you have listened to the message and understand the number is not free of charge from mobile phones. O2 customer care is free.

O2 have never had a 2month free insurance policy and the insurance is completely optional. I can only assume you took the contract via a third party such as phones4U or dialafone. You should complain to them directly as your insurance will be held by them and not O2.
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that the 'dial again without the zero' is misleading. I happened upon this forum because I thought it would be free having heard the message, however know what kind of tricks mobile companies get up to.
Change the message to say redial without the first zero, you will be charged for the call' that way you remove any ambiguity. That is O2 if you really want your customers to know that they will be charged.
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that the 'dial again without the zero' is misleading. I happened upon this forum because I thought it would be free having heard the message, however know what kind of tricks mobile companies get up to.
Change the message to say redial without the first zero, you will be charged for the call' that way you remove any ambiguity. That is O2 if you really want your customers to know that they will be charged.

I don't understand. The message clearly says that 0800 numbers are not free and to redial to say you accept that.
Your method is even more ambiguous because it isn't clear how much you would be charged or whether the charge applies to the current call or the redialled call.
Given that you are only the second person in three years to mention it, I guess there isn't a general problem.
Message 10 of 20