Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I hate sites that block ad blockers so cannot read the article

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

Sorry about 😞

Here is the highlights. 

Virtually every mobile provider offers 4G contracts now, but which one is the best for you? Read on and find out

4G has been available in the UK since 2012, with more and more smartphones supporting the technology each year - particularly when it comes to flagship devices.

But there’s a great deal of variability when it comes to what each mobile provider offers in terms of coverage, reliability and data allowance, as well as differences in what each contract costs.

Here, we run down the reliability and costs of a 4G contract for each of the UK’s four main mobile networks.

(NB: these are the costs for an individual, SIM-only, 12-month contract. Business contracts and contracts with a phone can and likely will vary. All data correct as of February 2017)

EE: 4G cost and reliability

EE was the first UK mobile network to offer 4G and is, according to RootMetrics’ First Half 2016 UK Mobile Network Performance Review, the best network across all five testing areas: reliability, speed, data, call and text.

EE’s 4G network is also the largest, with 97% of the UK population able to access it.

At the high end, a 4G contract with EE will cost in excess of £30 per month, but for that, you will get 30GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, and various other bells and whistles.

The cheapest 4G contract the company offers costs £19.99 per month, for which you will get 2GB data, unlimited texts and minutes and some other sweeteners as well.

O2: 4G cost and reliability

According to RootMetrics’ First Half 2016 UK Mobile Network Performance Review, O2’s 4G offering is disappointing if you don’t live in a metropolitan area (i.e. a city and its environs). In fact, of the four main operators, it came last when it comes to the 4G RootScore.

Nevertheless, according to 4G.co.uk, 78% of the UK population is able to access the O2 4G network.

The most expensive 4G contract with O2 costs in excess of £25 per month, which will give you 20GB data allowance, unlimited texts and unlimited minutes.

At the other end of the scale, O2 offers a £10 per month with 250MB data allowance, 250 minutes and unlimited texts.

Three: 4G cost and reliability

Three is the smallest of the UK’s four network operators and came last in the RootMetrics’ First Half 2016 UK Mobile Network Performance Review when it came to network speed because of this. But, for those who can access 4G on the Three network, it’s highly commended.

All Three sim-only deals offer 4G. The most expensive is £32 per month, which gives you unlimited data, minutes and texts. At the other end of the scale is a £7 per month contract, which offers 500MB data, 200 minutes and unlimited texts.

Vodafone: 4G cost and reliability

While not as good as EE or Three currently when it comes to 4G coverage, according to RootMetrics, Vodafone has been upgrading its network which is already bearing fruit in terms of coverage and reliability.

Nevertheless, it came third in the research firm’s tests for 4G, although according to 4G.co.uk, 88% of the UK population can access the network.

As with Three, all Vodafone sim-only deals offer 4G. The cheapest is comparable to O2 - 250MB data allowance, 250 minutes and unlimited texts for £9.50.

At the high end, 25GB data will set you back more than £25, but you also get unlimited calls and texts, plus 4GB roaming data.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

still using data over 6 months old and I do find rootmetrics to be biased lets see what the second half 2016 reports uncovers. but we all konw ee (bt) has the largest 4g capacity now bt are the owners the capacity grew on the 2600 band by another 50mhz as bt own Niche Spectrum Ventures Ltd  source https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2013/winners-of-the-4g-mobile-aucti...

On reflection this situation has been allowed to happen due to poor industry regulation in the past These are my thoughts.

If 3 and o2 had merged some spectrum would have been gained but not as much as ee gained from the bt merger or any of the previous orange tmobile mergers creating an unfair playing field in the mobile market that the EU blocked .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have a query. In your opening post @Curr946 you state "It isn't O2, they came last" I read the article and never saw that mentioned. Am I missing something?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Maybe I misunderstood what I read lol

', O2’s 4G offering is disappointing if you don’t live in a metropolitan area (i.e. a city and its environs). In fact, of the four main operators, it came last when it comes to the 4G RootScore'
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood what I read lol

', O2’s 4G offering is disappointing if you don’t live in a metropolitan area (i.e. a city and its environs). In fact, of the four main operators, it came last when it comes to the 4G RootScore'

And then goes on to say

"Nevertheless, according to 4G.Co.uk... 78% of the UK population is able to access the O2 4G network"

Which isn't bad. Not excellent...but better than some...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7