Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad, terrible speeds

akis
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have switched over from EE trying to get a stronger signal and internet speeds. When the O2 SIM arrived, I check the phone's strength meter, saw 3-4 bars, and was very happy. Now that I have used it for a few days, and without being connected to the wifi, it is terrible!

I have 1 bar signal. It shows 4G+. I get 3.5-4 Mb/sec speeds. Not good. 

Other times it shows 2-3 bars, H+, also 3.5 Mb/sec. 

Other times defaults to 2G, displays E, unusable. But it shows 4 bars strength.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149593 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@akis 

Check guide Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

akis
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the link. It has been showing a problem with a nearby mast. No ETA. Let's see how long it takes them to fix it. I have vague memories, years ago, of a "nearby mast" problems that were never fixed. I can't remember which operator I was with at the time. Maybe it was O2/giffgaff. If true, if it really was O2/giffgaff it would mean they are not ever going to fix it.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149593 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

We wouldn't know @akis sorry.

It could have been decommissioned or could just be waiting on many aspects required to complete the repair.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 9

akis
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still shows the same issue with the mast...

"

Looks like a nearby phone mast isn’t working as it should, sorry.

Our engineers will be on the case already, and your service might come and go until we fix it."

I will give it a few more days to see if they ever fix it.

Message 5 of 9

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9367 Posts
  • 218 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

@akis 

What made you believe that O2 would be better than EE in your location ? 

Always a good idea to test signal strength using PAYG SIMs before changing network. 

Message 6 of 9

akis
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got a payg SIM and it showed 4 bars. I did not realise or imagine it was 2G. So once I did a number transfer and put the SIM in, I realised I am getting 1 bar signal and 4G or, randomly, 4 bars signal and 2G...

Message 7 of 9

japitts
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 223 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Also remember that signal strength does not automatically correlate to quicker data speeds. Coverage levels are dictated by the quality of the received signal. Data speeds are dictated by the amount of capacity/spectrum available.

Message 8 of 9

akis
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update: as of today the situation with the faulty mast remains the same - therefore I am switching away from O2 at this point as there is no resolution or other information with an ETA.

Message 9 of 9