cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE O2 taking money for orders they cannot deliver

Anonymous
Not applicable
Placed an order for a contract phone for delivery today. No contact or anything, looked online to find order still "progressing".
They have taken £100 deposit from me for a phone they cannot deliver as promised (no stock for 1 month). They will cancel the contract but will not refund my money for 10 days!!! So I have no choice but to wait really.
O2 will take the money for something they cannot provide then hang on to your money if you want it back. ####
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a slight misunderstanding. Its not that they won't refund you for 10days. But that it takes up to 10 days for the refund to get to you. Some of this is due to processing by the 'banks'
I agree that they shouldn't take the money if the phone isn't in stock. But mistakes happen. Have you asked them how they can make it up to you?
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Chatted to 2 people with online chat, then a bloke on the phone at 5p per min because they told me to call 202 from my mobile for free but this number does not work, then got passed to a supervisor who was as much use as a chocolate t-pot. All they would do is cancel the order and refund in 10 days.....so i had no option but to keep the order and wait until Nov 27th really.
I don't think the issue is with the banks - they just won't process it for 10 days.
No help - no compo - no customer service! 😞
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know its frustrating, but part of the delay is with the banks. First of all they have have to check that they have definitely received the payment from you. (note that there is a delay between the money leaving you and reaching them which depending on your method of payment can be days).
Then when they have processed it, it needs to be credited to your account. Which can also take a day or two. This is why all businesses quote a cautious time scale for a refund.
I suppose its only when you work for a company that takes payments that you realise how these things work.
Of course, if you press them you might be able to short cut the first part and knock a few days off.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Placed an order for a contract phone for delivery today. No contact or anything, looked online to find order still "progressing".
They have taken £100 deposit from me for a phone they cannot deliver as promised (no stock for 1 month). They will cancel the contract but will not refund my money for 10 days!!! So I have no choice but to wait really.
O2 will take the money for something they cannot provide then hang on to your money if you want it back. ####

I take it the £100 deposit is a result of your credit check rather than for the phone they can't deliver? Patience.... and welcome to the O2 forums!!
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I take it the £100 deposit is a result of your credit check rather than for the phone they can't deliver? Patience.... and welcome to the O2 forums!!

Yep, the £100 is a deposit because the credit check returned a low score. Note that it's not that they can't provide the phone, they can, it'll be on back order with a confirmed delivery date from the manufacturer which is why they're still taking orders. Yes they offer next day delivery, but this is subject to stock.
o2 take the money when you place the order so that part of it is all done and dusted. Imagine the problems that could arise if they tried to process the card transaction a few days later once the phone was ready to dispatch.
You'll find this is common practice with online stores, happened to me when I bought a pre pay phone from t-mobile, took an extra few days to arrive.
Finally, previous posters are correct, the 10 day timescale is a maximum set to allow o2 to process the refund and then for it to actually get to the customer.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, the £100 is a deposit because the credit check returned a low score. Note that it's not that they can't provide the phone, they can, it'll be on back order with a confirmed delivery date from the manufacturer which is why they're still taking orders. Yes they offer next day delivery, but this is subject to stock.
o2 take the money when you place the order so that part of it is all done and dusted. Imagine the problems that could arise if they tried to process the card transaction a few days later once the phone was ready to dispatch.
You'll find this is common practice with online stores, happened to me when I bought a pre pay phone from t-mobile, took an extra few days to arrive.
Finally, previous posters are correct, the 10 day timescale is a maximum set to allow o2 to process the refund and then for it to actually get to the customer.

The important point here, with the £100 issue is that other networks may refuse your business based on their credit scoring criteria. In fear of lowering your credit score further, be patient.
O2 will do whatever they can to get your phone to you.
Message 7 of 7