cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you using Instagram? You may not want to soon.

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Instagram has decided that it has the right to sell your personal photos for profit, and there will be no opt out after January 16.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57559710-38/instagram-says-it-now-has-the-right-to-sell-your-photo...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I've never used it and I won't now!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Cheeky barstewards !!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I tend to think of Instagram as taking highly engineered devices and then going back to camera tech 20 years  calling it artistic. Another case of an overpriced Internet company shooting itself in the foot. Just wait till their owners (facebook) start applying all that data they've been gathering oh wait, didn't you read the terms & conditions when you signed up 😉

Message 4 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You mean Facebook has T&C's.....??? wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Instagram have responded to this by saying...

"To be clear: it is not our intention to sell your photos"

They say that they screwed up in the wording of the new T&C's and said that...

"It is our mistake that this language is confusing. We are working on updated language in the terms to make sure this is clear."

The wording definitely did have them claiming the right to use customers data in any way they wanted so it is understandable that people were angry.  Whether Instagram are being truthful with their explanation or if they are actually just trying to worm their way out of trouble is something you can decide for yourselves. 

Message 6 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I don't use Instagram, but as they are now part of Facebook, I'm not entirely sure that their response can be trusted. From what I have been reading about all this, the wording was mired in legalese. I'm sure that whatever new wording they put out will be thoroughly examined, now that the story is out in the wild.

At the moment, people who do use the service will just have to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for them to rewrite their new terms of service. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20777616

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never used Instagram for that exact reason & I'm glad

Message 8 of 9

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Wasnt that already the case since it became Facebook? Remember a journal on TV said that a whiiiiile ago.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 9 of 9