cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alarming O2 recycling practices (screen burn in)

Matt182
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Having had a new device in the past week, I decided to go with the o2 recycle option as this knocked a great amount off the monthly cost.

Fast forward to today, I had an email stating that due to screen burn in, my advised amount of £80 would now be £16.

Now although no used phone will ever be mint, this was as close to it as is possible - had always lived in a case with a screen protector, even had the manufacturers sticker on the back and genuinely not a scratch on it. There was not even a hint of screen burn - and I mean, as I was entering the details of the phone into the site, I even checked by testing the calibration to see if it showed anything that could have burned into the display over time. Nothing. Which I was pleased with, as I even thought at the time that would be a deal breaker.

I email the recycle team stating that I am now very concerned as this device had no burn at the point of sending this, that I would need proof of this and that I would have to invoice o2 should any damages be found on its return to me. I followed this up with a call to their helpline (really helpful person advised she would send it for a re test).

I have just had an email that the device is fine and the full £80 will be credited.

I am guessing at this point that screen burn in is the go to to con buyers from their previous device at a much lower rate. So just to be clear - if you receive this email with a lower amount due to burn and you know your phone is as good as can be second hand, make sure you challenge it.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Standard practice which has been going on for years!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Matt182 One of the more common reasons O2 Recycle uses to screw customers is 'water damage'. You'd have been better off taking it to a CEX or, in fact, any other recycling company other than O2. Would have saved yourself a lot of time and effort, and probably would have gotten you more for your phone than you were offered.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

This isn't unique to o2 as some others will tell you.. 

CEX also use sharp practices as well on devices, once they have tested the devices, as do Music Magpie, and any other companies linked to Ingram Micro and others..... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 7

Ccbrs87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Glad to see this thread, just had exactly the same thing thankfully have full video proof etc as I was wary of this. Always have best of protective gear and tempered glass protectors through absolutely no way there was any burns on the phone prior to sending. Just rejected and sent customer services a message to dispute this. Offered 37 down from 189 for my note 20 ultra trade in. Time I took everything off looked like it was fresh out the box.

New handset going back and will look elsewhere and as long as the handset hasn't been tampered with with sell private or return to Samsung for similar trade in value, never had any issues trade in wise with them. 

The return box was a joke thin cardboard with a plastic outer with prepaid label. Even added a bubblewrap envelope as the Mrs even laughed how bad the trade in pack was. Setting people up for a fall straight off with flimsy cardboard box! Could easily wreck any trade in in transit if you don't take extra measures to protect it.

Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Ccbrs87 

Just so you know that the company who manage this for o2 also manage a lot of the other networks recycle programmes, so don't expect a change and they do work with Samsung as well, from what I recall been told.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

Ccbrs87
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh thanks I'll keep that in mind. Recently traded in watch and tablet for upgrades with Samsung never had issues. 

Just feel ripped off I get they will receive faults on trade ins but got my back up as always get everything on from day dot to protect my devices. Also had and have insurance on handsets as well so any issues would be claiming for repairs. As long as handset comes back as was I'll keep and shop around,might even just pass onto family would rather give to someone than take pennies on cowboy trade ins. Thanks again for the heads up.

Message 7 of 7