cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AT&T Reduce the IPhone 3GS for upgrades! Will o2 follow?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm what are the chances that O2 will follow? AT&T Have suddenly decided that they are going to reduce the cost for people who already own the Iphone already in contract to half the price...

Whats the likely hood that O2 would follow? I understand its a complete different country, so Im not getting my hopes up :smileytongue:

The original plan was to offer mildly subsidized prices of and for the 16GB and 32GB versions of the iPhone 3G S to AT&T customers who weren't currently "upgrade eligible," but the carrier's having a change of heart, ostensibly in response to... you know, people wanting to pay less. The new plan is to let anyone with an upgrade date in the months of June, July, August, or September get in on the fully discounted / price points, which should cover a good number of existing 3G owners.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/17/atan ... coming-up/
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will probably depend on the pressure existing customers put on o2 or they find sales disappointing because of the price. Let's hope they see sense just as AT&T has.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sure hope they do.

I would really like a new iPhone but I don't want to pay the PAYG price for a new one.

I would be happy to upgrade and sign another 18 month contract on top of my current contract (which expires in Jan 2010) and if Apple keep releasing new phones every year on O2 I'd keep signing that extension.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you signed an 18 month extension on top of your current contract, it would run til July 2011. And if Apple release a new iPhone before then, you would do the same? Soon you'd end up with 5 years left to run on your contract which is why O2 want people to pay off their current contracts.
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rogers in Canada now offering discounts to match those offered by AT&T - will o2 follow suit?
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No. AT&T are trying to get their existing users to sign a new 18 month contract, since AT&T know their exclusivity contract will not be renewed (due to the MMS/tethering debacle), and will expire before their contracts finish. There's no rumors that O2 will lose it's exclusivity contract, so they've got no reason to.
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
o2 should follow, the amount of pressure I've seen o2 become under on facebook and twitter it's silly if they don't go with their customers choices, or thought about this from the start, because, as we all know, apple release new products every year, and most of them are fantastic updates to their predecessor.

I came back to o2 when the iPhone arrived in Nov 07 and been with them from the start of their iPhone exclusivity but I'm beginning to see some of the reasons I left o2 in the first place many years before 07 crawl back.
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No. AT&T are trying to get their existing users to sign a new 18 month contract, since AT&T know their exclusivity contract will not be renewed (due to the MMS/tethering debacle), and will expire before their contracts finish. There's no rumors that O2 will lose it's exclusivity contract, so they've got no reason to.

That makes sence for now but this is what you have to remember. Many people will not purchase the new iphone when their contracts end in 6 months. I mean there will only be 6 months till the new one, and then when the one after that is out the 3gs customer will have the same. THe 3gs has broken records for sales in the weekend but i feel they would see alot more shifting if they let us upgrade for a reasonable offer. As of this trouble there will be ever decreasing fans of the iphone which i can assume will not sit well with apple as they want to sell the products. Therefore i think that as a tactical dicision great move o2. Good selling product people will keeping coming back. In the long run i wont and many other wont until eventually apple look at falling figure and realise o2 may not be furfilling it potential for sales of the iphone in the long run. Also working against their brand rep is the fact that both at&t and rogers have tried to patch the problems, everyday o2 sit quite is another day i wanna end my contract sooner. AT&T said we have listened to out customers and as they value them have offered a deal. So i ask what does o2 think of us?
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
i feel they would see alot more shifting if they let us upgrade for a reasonable offer.

Will never happen most O2 stores sold out of their allocation on release date
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not surprised o2 sold out their allocation but who knows they may have done even better if they had offered AT&T and Rodgers type discounts for current iPhone customers. The product cycle for the iPhone ( 12 monthly at present) isn't compatible with 18 month contracts so without a discount upgrading isn't so attractive especially when there were only a few improvements to the iPhone itself. I for one will probably go PAYG on the iPhone when my contract expires in January 2010 until the next iPhone is released (hopefully) in June 2010.

I certainly ain't going to pay £35 for 6 months twice by upgrading now!
Message 10 of 14