cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit of a raw deal

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just switched over from O2 Pay&Go to a 12 month contract. I now pay £19 per month, (I have international favourites Bolt On), and 100 minutes of any network calls along with unlimited texts. Although I now get 3,000 minutes of free calls to 3 numbers in the USA, I feel a bit let down from the rest of the contract. 

When I was on Pay&Go, I paid a one off fee of £5 and got really cheap rate calls to any number in the States. I could also text the States for 10p and picture messages were 30p. Now that I'm paying £9 per month for my International Bolt On, (as opposed to the £5 one off fee), it's 20p to text the States and sending a picture message, (to UK numbers), costs me a whopping 50p! 

When I went into the O2 shop to enquire about the swap over from Pay&Go to pay monthly, I felt pressured to make the switch by the member of staff there and then. I said I was going to think about it while I finished my shopping on the High Street and then I'd be back, but the young man was persistant and I ended up buckling and signing up. 

I was led to believe that I would be saving money and it would be more convinient to have a contract, instead I now find myself not wanting to text the States, (which is where my wife spends a lot of time working), because I then have to count the cost. When cash is tight, those 20p texts tend to mount up very quickly. I can no longer send photos of our kids or dogs to my wife when she's away, (I'm sure for a lot of people this may seem trivial, but to us it's family time we're otherwise missing out on). I now have to come home and upload photos, then email them over. 

I really expected more from O2, but it seems that once you're in that contract, the charges can mount up. What has shocked me the most is that someone who is on Pay&Go gets cheaper picture messages and International texts, (without having to worry about having the money in the bank to cover the charge), and people like myself who sign up for a 12 month contract, are paying through the nose for the same service!

I won't be renewing my contract when it runs out, and I'll probably be finding another provider who's tarifs make more sense. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I know you say you felt pressured but you could have said No.

Many people don't use Mms - picture messages on the network nowadays. Whatsapp and viber gives good cheaper alternatives as well as Skype. As long as the other person has them downloaded too.

iMessage for iPhone users or Tugo for contract customers.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/products-and-services/tu-go

I'm on Payg and pay the same as you for mms in the uk.

http://www.o2.co.uk/pricechange

You do have a 7 day cooling off period.
Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Whilst its all fine and dandy to say 'You could have said No', .....I really do feel angry on your behalf...

Another typical case of high pressure selling which does nothing at all for the customer slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23525 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3747 Solutions

Buyer's remorse. Happens frequently. If the OP has posted this within his 7 day cooling off period he can still cancel the contract. Let's hope he has and comes back to see the replies to his post.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

If you are in your first seven days of contract then please consider @Bambino's advice.

If not there are apps as mentioned above where as long as both both you and your wife have the apps you can message each other and send pictures for free. You just need a data connection so free on wifi for example.

Whatsapp costs just 69p a year (I think it is free for 1st year). You can send pictures through there too so could save you even more $$$$
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply and advice Piper.

We have WhatsApp and Viber, but as you say, they require data. I get 100mb, which is nothing at all. I have the option to pay for extra data, but again, it's paying out to try and save on texts and picture messages. 

Message 6 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
Don't forget your apps will work over WiFi which won't use your data.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
100mb is a really low amount especially if your using a smartphone. (Guess)

As apps update in the background etc I can see you possibly hitting your allowance quickly and data stopping.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can use wifiv which is free in most places along with your home wifi. So shouldn't need data over the gsm network for that.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just cancel the contract if your not happy with the deal
Message 10 of 10