cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Guide To O2 Refresh

Anonymous
Not applicable
How does the Refresh plan work?

Your tariff is split into two plans, the first part is your Device Plan.

This is the cost of the device or handset you have chosen, the cost of the phone or tablet will be a set amount each month which will cover the entire cost of your chosen device spread over 24 months. You can then choose to continue paying the device plan every month all the way through the 24 month.

If you want a new handset or device at any point throughout your minimum term then all you have to do to upgrade is to pay off the remainder of the total cost of your handset or device in full then you can choose a new device & a tariff of your choosing then you will start a new 24 month cycle.

If you are new to O2 refresh then you will need a credit check, to make sure there are no issues but if you are upgrading from an existing refresh tariff or you have used speed to refresh then you won't need a new credit check, they will just update your tariff on their systems.

Once you've paid off the device it's yours to do with as you wish & your bill automatically halves which means you will only be paying the airtime plan.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/upgrades/o2-refresh-explained

Your second plan is called the Airtime Plan

This is a set amount each month that you pay for a certain allowance of minutes, texts & data. These vary in different amounts according to how much your plan is.

Again if you are a new O2 refresh customer you will need a separate credit check

You cannot downgrade your tariff unless you complete your minimum term or upgrade by paying your device plan off. You can then choose to upgrade or if you wish to walk away. Just pay off your device plan then you are free to go with what you want

http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/termsandconditions/device-plan-cca-tcs-updated-with-new-phone-number...

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/mobile/o2-refresh-phone-plan-and-term-and-conditions

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/speed-to-refresh

You can only get O2 Refresh online, over the phone or in one of your local O2 stores

63% Refresh customers save 50% or more. Only Refresh customers eligible. 18+

**RPI information for Pay Monthly contracts, including O2 Refresh and sim only tariffs
Each year O2 Refresh Airtime Plan/Pay Monthly tariffs will be adjusted on your April bill by the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation announced in the preceding February.
Message 5 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Despite the contradictory website, we have explained on other threads exactly how Refresh works.

That would be good enough for me but apparently not for others it seems

Message 31 of 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Despite the contradictory website, we have explained on other threads exactly how Refresh works.

That would be good enough for me but apparently not for others it seems

No worries,  we can only try.

Message 32 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes to all of the above, though in fairness the OP noticed one of O2's information sheets was out of date and that was the issue they were querying. Not so much the advice from forum members...but the information on an official document produced by O2. If I was a new member I would also have been confused. @Anonymous is checking the validity of O2's info via @Toby

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 43

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It makes you wonder just who checks the website, it should be proof read and not up to people having to feed it back. OK there is a lot of information contained on all the website but terms and conditions are always signed off in blood...

Message 34 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

are all o2 contracts refresh or do you need to specifically request this plan?

Message 35 of 43

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All contracts (with phones) sold directly from O2 are refresh.
Not from any independents like Carphone Warehouse though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 43

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'm in a really quandry as to what to do with my refresh contract.  I want to stay with an O2 refresh contract, but as O2 doesn't offer the HTC 10, one of the flagship phones of the year I might add, I can't use my refresh to get this. To get that phone I will have to wait and go through Carphone Warehouse.  This brings up all sorts of things that could go wrong in my opinion.

1. I lose O2 refresh on my new contract and therefore no longer have separate device and airtime plans.

2. If I pay off my device plan and cancel my airtime plan, does my airtime plan stop straight away? Or is there a notice period? 

3. Can it be done so my airtime contract directly with O2 cancels at the right time so my new airtime contract through CPW doesn't overlap and cost me more money?

I guess in a nutshell, refresh only works if O2 decide to stock the phone you want.  Otherwise you're left in limbo as I feel I am right now.

Thanks

Steve
Message 37 of 43

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
2 - you need to give 30 days notice on the airtime plan, so it stops after 30 days.
3 - You will need to overlap for the last month as you can't keep your number from a disconnected account.
The easiest way is to wait until you can upgrade and do it through CPW, that way everything just transfers across with no overlap at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 38 of 43

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks.  I may well do that and just accept that I will be unable to "buy out" the device part of my plan.

Thanks

Steve
Message 39 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys! Is it possible to contact o2 by email to cancel an airtime plan and pay off a device plan? I'm touring Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia by bicycle so post or phone isn't really practical! Thanks slight_smile
Message 40 of 43