cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 free minutes text from o2-UK - Genuine?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just received a text message from "o2-UK" that reads:

O2: You've got 50 free minutes to O2 numbers waiting for you. No catches. To get them text YES to 22012 and use in 30 days. To stop texts, call 2220"

I've never received a text like this before and have never heard of the two numbers mentioned. Is this a hoax or the real deal?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im not sure. Im always dubious about these things. I could easily be similar to teh thread below about the £3 scam. You could be switcging this on by texting it.

A simple way to find out is to call o2 and ask them. They will have a list of short codes ( the 22012 number ).

But I would not text it for the sake of 50 mins, its just not worth it.
Message 2 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Info here, and 2220 is an O2 opt-out code, so it sounds genuine:

http://topupsurprises.o2.co.uk/uk_o2sur ... terms.html

There is a lot of reading there.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the feedback. Problem is, a hoaxer might use a genuine opt-out short code but a fake sign-up short code. I'll give O2 a ring later to confirm it since I need to call them later anyway.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had O2 phoning me about this 50 free mins thing today, and I'm pretty convinced that it is legit. I even tried confronting the guy on the phone that he's trying to scam me, the dude got lost therefore I think he's Legit, since them fraud people usually can backfire something at you to "assure" you that they're legit. Well that was one of the points. Besides that, the guy had info on me that no one else could possibly have, like how much I top up every month, even exact dates. And I don't use any other services apart from O2 on my phone.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just Phoned o2 and they said its a new promotion for o2 customers
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if I trust the guy above... one post... hmm. I've got this message too, think I'm gonna wait for more info on this one.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

My apologies though, as I didn't get round to calling o2 the other day... However, I will definitely call them tonight (Am at work at the moment).
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okies I just got off the phone with o2 and they confirm that it is indeed a goodwill offer that o2 have at the moment. So, if anyone has received that text, I'm told by o2 that it's genuine. slight_smile
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions