Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g speed

Coazin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I wish I'd looked here before switching if I'm honest but here it goes. O2 website says very good to excellent indoor signal in my area however max download 8mb upload 4mb but over the first 3 days average is less than 2mb down and less than 1mb up. Is it normal for the website to say coverage is excellent and for the speeds to be this bad? How do I confirm I am on a 4g lte contract rather than regular 4g? I've just come from EE and as things stand the cooling off period is going to be used, I'm not expecting 65mb down 40mb up (which is the ee 4g service in the area) but honestly I can barely do anything, feel sorry for the guys on less than 1mb I'm reading about. Not sure what the contention is like in the area but most of my neighbours are with EE or bt and have no issues with contention at all. Please advise ASAP.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

All contracts are 4G but you can ask if it's enabled on your account @Coazin 

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

As for speeds, the website will not consider thickness of wall, building structure or signal connection if there are buildings etc in the way

It's always best to try p&G sims before committing to a 2/3 year contract

If you are within 28 days you have a change of mind option and can return the phone and sim card

Message 2 of 7

Coazin
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's a typical answer about wall thickness etc I live next to a bt exchange (300m) with a mast on top of it, I'm a telecoms engineer, honestly the buildings and wall thickness is not a factor (unless 02 have switched off their mast on the exchange but it was live 8 months ago). I know they are all 4g but there are different types of 4g. This contract was on a deal through a broker and I'm wondering if the broker is selling inferior 4g packages when I'm expecting 4g advanced (commonly known as 4g lte)
Message 3 of 7

Coazin
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Basically if it's not on the inferior product that can be switched to the correct 4g twch then it's is literally pointless having a 100gb data contract, I couldn't use it all in a month at the speeds I'm getting 😔
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Coazin 

As a telecoms engineer you'll understand bandwidth or rather the lack of it allocated to O2 when compared to EE.

Add to this mast congestion and O2 speeds drop dramatically. If you try around 2.00am when everyone is in bed, you'll probably see a significant increase.

Honestly, if you are in a busy area / large town or city, you are better off with EE from a speed pov.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Coazin
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was under the impression that O2 were now able to offer more bandwidth due to obtaining more frequencies recently but I guess thats not rolled out here yet or something. Shame as the price is great but my service is pretty important. Appreciate your help, back to ee it is!
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Coazin 

They are working their way around and supposedly upgrading the worst areas first.

All will be done eventually, but that could take some time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7