Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G service with non-4G based tariff

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

OK recently, I was in Edinburgh over the holidays to see if there was any sale bargains and what not. I noticed that the signal indicator changed to 4G and the signal was mostly strong. So evidently this means if you have a 4G-capable mobile regardless if you have a 3G tariff, you can still access 4G (LTE) speeds providing you are in the correct area.

What confused me was, a couple of people said to me that you need a 4G SIM and contract to access this type of network. It looks like O2 have updated their networks to work using a hybrid system which will use the fastest transport possible - not restrict you by your SIM type.

I believe this is another grey area where people can tricked into paying more for something they normally can't access. So I don't know this is just an O2 easter egg or the same for all networks however all this means is the 4G tariff merely is just more data allowance not a key to the 4G network.

Anyway I thought it would interesting to mention to anybody with a 4G phone however yet to use the service.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
I was of the belief that all o2 contracts had been upgraded to 4g now regardless?
Certainly all mine were, even the 100 min/100mb simo that I have....
When did you last do a sim swap? If your sim serial number starts with 4ggp then it is a 4g sim card already so would explain you receiving a 4g signal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi anticpated

That's definitely something I've not come across before.

Yes we are told a person needs

A compatible 4G phone, 4G SIM card and 4G tariff !!
Message 2 of 23

MI5
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
I was of the belief that all o2 contracts had been upgraded to 4g now regardless?
Certainly all mine were, even the 100 min/100mb simo that I have....
When did you last do a sim swap? If your sim serial number starts with 4ggp then it is a 4g sim card already so would explain you receiving a 4g signal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 3 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

So...let me check...I have a 4G phone with an old 3G sim in ....Are you saying that if I travel to a 4G area I will get 4G? If so, I never noticed that when I went to Coventry and Birmingham before Xmas...?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23225 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

No. You will not get 4G with a 3G sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 23

MI5
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Correct - I am guessing @anticpated has a 4g sim already.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I didnt think so...but @anticpated  didn't specify what sim was in his phone?

I understand what he is saying about getting 4G whilst I presume he must be on a 3G tariff....but I just wanted all the info

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Correct - I am guessing @anticpated has a 4g sim already.

But on a 3G tariff then?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've never looked at the SIM code, although I can do that before I put it on charge. It has 4GPP2 on the Microsim, meaning the guy must have just done that at the swap-over. Until now, I never ever thought to look. I presume the 3G SIM's have a different code or are unmarked.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 9 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123393 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

I've never looked at the SIM code, although I can do that before I put it on charge. It has 4GPP2 on the Microsim, meaning the guy must have just done that at the swap-over. Until now, I never ever thought to look. I presume the 3G SIM's have a different code or are unmarked.

So you have a 4G sim but a 3G tariff...??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 23