cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G active in Manchester

Anonymous
Not applicable

After changing into a 4G tariff last night, I went into Manchester city centre today, et voila... my phone found 4G signal and it works! So it seems 4G is afoot in Manchester. Speedtest was about 10Mbps down, 15Mbps up.
It seems to be only active in Manchester city centre, as I live in a North Manchester suburb and there is no 4G signal here.

I also managed to try it our in Bradford, where I got much higher speeds, about 25Mbps down AND up.

Promising stuff!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Certainly possible for you to get the 4g service in manchester.

There are reports on here that some fringes of cover exist if you close to an official 4g area.

Leeds/Manchester ?

"O2 4G is available in London, Leeds and Bradford, plus coming soon in Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester, Sheffield and Nottingham. Find out what coverage is like near you. "

How are you liking the new 4g sppeds then ?

Message 2 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's very good. 

Speed tests are one thing, but real use is another, and it seems to be performing brilliantly. For example, facebook loads much faster, foursquare checks in more quickly and generally everything is snappier.
I hope it stays this way and doesn't degrade once more users are on the system.

The O2 coverage checker still reports no coverage anywhere in Manchester, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Manchester is not exactly near Leeds or Bradford for coverage from these cities to 'spill over', so it really seems like it has been turned on here as well.

Message 3 of 32

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

By the end of the year, O2’s 4G network will be live in 13 cities. Further detail relating to the specific switch-on dates will be announced over the coming weeks.

London | Leeds | Bradford | Birmingham | Newcastle | Glasgow | Liverpool |

Nottingham | Leicester | Coventry | Sheffield | Manchester | Edinburgh

(source O2)

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's very good. 

Speed tests are one thing, but real use is another, and it seems to be performing brilliantly. For example, facebook loads much faster, foursquare checks in more quickly and generally everything is snappier.
I hope it stays this way and doesn't degrade once more users are on the system.

The O2 coverage checker still reports no coverage anywhere in Manchester, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Manchester is not exactly near Leeds or Bradford for coverage from these cities to 'spill over', so it really seems like it has been turned on here as well.

Awesome.

Did you manage to try a bit of gaming on the 4G service ?

It was a bit of a stretch with the Leeds/Manchester thing - I was just thinking out loud !

Message 5 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing your experience, DonDino 🙂
Message 6 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome Chiara, it's important for others to know what's going on.

Perksie, yes that's the official O2 line, which is not very useful. Look up 'when is 4G coming to Manchester' on Google - you will not find anything, no information on specific dates (or even generally, which month), nothing. No one even reporting any personal experiences. At least now people can find this thread and know that there is 4G service in Manchester 😉

bandofbrothers, no I don't do gaming on my mobile. Though, I've read that gaming will be a big thing with 4G due to low latency - I'm assuming they're talking about multiplayer gaming. Got any suggestions as to what games I can try? Give me a few tips, I will gladly go and test them out.

Message 7 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was watching the new one Apple showcased in their Keynote at the same time of their iPhone 5s and 5c launch.

Infinity Blade III

To be released 20/9/13.

Message 8 of 32

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Look up 'when is 4G coming to Manchester' on Google - you will not find anything, no information on specific dates (or even generally, which month), nothing.

O2 never give out detailed information about network changes only in general terms.

What we have is all we will get I'm afraid.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

O2 never give out detailed information about network changes only in general terms.

What we have is all we will get I'm afraid.

They did manage to give a specific date for 4g launch in London, Leeds and Bradford. They can do it if they want to. 

But that's not they point, I'm not criticising them for not releasing information.

What I am saying is, we have ourselves, so what we have (from O2) is not all we will get, as we can also get reports of our experiences posted online for others to find 😉

Message 10 of 32