Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Wifi devices. Which is best?

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I currently have a 4GEE Wifi Mini 2 which I've had unlocked since leaving them but I've never really liked it. I absolutely hate the interface. You can never tell when it's on or off because the lights ALWAYS go off and the battery doesn't last long. I was looking at the Huawei E5573bs-322 4G. Does anyone know if this will give me good 4G speeds? Or can you recommend a good one that is still pocket sized? Do I already have the best one?? Let me know!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions

*Huawei E5573b (s322 is the Three branded variant. Oops!).
Message 2 of 7

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy : I had till quite recently the Huawei Wifi Pro (E5770s is the unlocked variant). Great device and I have run my home network off it since it had an ethernet port. 4G speeds were great and stable but as always, its area dependent. Mine were around 12-20Mbits download depending on the time of day. About 8Mbits upload I recall. Great battery* in it and lasts most of the day but the device is now superseded so quite cheap to buy on ebay. The latest models from Huawei seem even better but extremely hard to get in the UK.

Whilst the Huawei is a great device, I had only two issues with it but not a major set of problems - wifi is permanent and the admin interface is basic and functional. Set and and leave it is the best option. Sadly my unlocked one broke - doesn't recognise the sim card - so is now a portable power bank/router. Replaced it with a Zyxcel LTE3302 which has the advantages of dual ethernet ports, the ability to turn off wifi, can attach aerials and if you can find it, run off a battery! Only downside is that its not pocket sized.

The Netgear M1 o2 are selling looks intriguing though. 

* I work from home that suffers the occasional area power cut so a battery powered 4G router means I don't have to explain why I'm not responding to emails! 

Message 3 of 7

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I actually ended up buying the Vodafone R218h (which is the same device that O2 and Three are selling as Huawei E5573b) for £19.99 on an offer. You have to have it connected to Vodafone for the first 30 days then it can be unlocked by them to work on any network. Got myself a small bargain there I think! The device looks great, feels nice and light in the pocket, wifi doesn't drop out and the Vodafone version of it comes with an app that monitors the connection which is handy too!
Message 4 of 7

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Seems a good deal there. BTW, I have Vodafone on data-only as well since their offerings are difficult to beat 50GB/30 days for £30 for me and its replaced my landline package!

Message 5 of 7

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Vodafone don't have the best of service where I live but it's saved me £20 by buying this device on Vodafone pay as you go and sticking a £5 top up on it than actually buying it elsewhere so I can wait 30 days to be able to use this on O2 and whoever else when I go abroad.
Message 6 of 7

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
My landline is with TalkTalk for the third contract period running. I get unlimited faster fibre with speed boost at home with them for a really great price. Pretty impressed with them tbh! Just want this mobile wifi device really for when I stay at my partners place and when I go away.
Message 7 of 7