Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4445 call scam?

Neoff
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I called 4445 to activate a new SIM ( that hasn't been used since new for maybe 2-3 months). Trying to do this via my02 would not provide a top-up page for the SIM number. 

All I wanted to do was add PAYG credit.

I ended up having a 30+ mins call during which the handler was convincing me to take a 12 month contract.  It was increasingly confusing with talk of broadband fibre contracts. A 'verification' text was sent - but how do I know if this is legitimate?

I received a contract email during the call and began a credit check and direct debit setup.  But looking at the email it was from noreply@s-email-o2.co.uk

I asked that this did not look like a legitimate O2 email but they would not explain this. Only saying you called us so you  must know you're talking to O2.

So is noreply@s-email-o2.co.uk bogus or not?

How come calling 4445 - the customer service line stored on my SIM - seems to result in such a fishy call?

I'd appreciate an explanation of what was going on. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11416 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3155 Solutions

@Neoff 

Just to confirm that the checks on the domain using publicly available information, the domain belongs to Telefonica aka o2 and is hosted in AWS and probably uses SES. 

If you want to confirm details then you need to actually speak to o2 and not ask on a Customer to Customer community - they could have been called on 0344 809 0222 which is linked to on everypage of the o2 website. 

And in my professional view nothing to do with cybersecurity, its just a way to keep customer data away from corporate mail infrastructure, and a lot of companies do this nowadays, I have forced the company I work for  to do this.. 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 11 of 14

Neoff
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I expect a SIM will arrive. I'll be cancelling under remote selling law as it gives 14 days to cancel. Anyway they haven't been able to setup a direct debit. 

Message 12 of 14

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9084 Posts
  • 207 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Please do not think @Neoff that the absence of a direct debit absolves you of responsibility. If you have signed-up to a contract, O2 will look to collect whatever you owe under it. And that will include tarnishing your credit score and selling perceived debts to a Debt Collection Agency. O2 are ruthless so you do not want to get on the wrong wide of them. 

Hence, it is important that you cancel the contract under whatever legal redress is available to you. 👍 

Message 13 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149000 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@Neoff 

Cancellation rights here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/returning-your-device

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 14