Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4445 call scam?

Neoff
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I called 4445 to activate a new SIM ( that hasn't been used since new for maybe 2-3 months). Trying to do this via my02 would not provide a top-up page for the SIM number. 

All I wanted to do was add PAYG credit.

I ended up having a 30+ mins call during which the handler was convincing me to take a 12 month contract.  It was increasingly confusing with talk of broadband fibre contracts. A 'verification' text was sent - but how do I know if this is legitimate?

I received a contract email during the call and began a credit check and direct debit setup.  But looking at the email it was from noreply@s-email-o2.co.uk

I asked that this did not look like a legitimate O2 email but they would not explain this. Only saying you called us so you  must know you're talking to O2.

So is noreply@s-email-o2.co.uk bogus or not?

How come calling 4445 - the customer service line stored on my SIM - seems to result in such a fishy call?

I'd appreciate an explanation of what was going on. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

Virgin Media pressure sales tactic, common these days, sadly.

You need to do your first top-up using a voucher from a corner shop or similar - such outlets display this logo, or a "PayPoint logo:

1000022773.jpgpgn_1-1722115642583.png

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) will help you. Note also you top-up using the phone number assigned to the SIM, not the SIM's (long) serial number: Guide: How do I find my own mobile number? 

Note also you do not have to sign-on to use O2's web top-up: 

1000021611.png

https://myo2payg.o2.co.uk/webtopup/details?journey=guest&isIELessThan11=false#/ will take you straight there.

Good luck, @Neoff - assuming you resisted the VMO2 Pressure Sales technique 😎

Electronic proof of reading a contract comes into your e-mail, you have to open them and scan to the end to automatically let O2 know you have read the T&Cs/new contract terms, btw. Sounds like they may be legit, but usually only arrive when you have signed up to a new or upgrade contract, so be careful if that is not what you intended.

The address is genuine by the way - this from my most recent e-mail from O2:

pgn_0-1722115484728.png

Message 2 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93890 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions
Message 3 of 14

Neoff
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But how come calling the customer service number on my O2 SIM , 4445, results in what appears to be a scam call?  With an email containing O2 branded docs.

Message 4 of 14

pgn
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

It is part of VMO2's pressure selling technique, I imagine the agent gets a bigger commission on the sale of a contract than on helping a PAYG customer with their actual query. You would, by all accounts, have been exposed to the same technique had you gone into an O2 Shop in person (with photo id) to get your PAYG SIM set up, @Neoff 

A search of the forum here will reveal how commonplace the practice is since VM and O2 joined forces. You called O2, as the agent pointed out to you, so no scam, just some very direct pressure selling.

Message 5 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11262 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Neoff 

It isnt a scam call, its just PAYG CS Agents been incentivised to upsell PAYG customers to Pay Monthly contracts, and I can imagine the incentives are quite good..

And if you got contract documents you have signed up to a contract...

Also o2 dont want PAYG customers anymore.. 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 6 of 14

Neoff
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If the email URL is genuine that is incredibly poor cybersec. No way for me to confirm it is authentic.

Message 7 of 14

Neoff
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Went into a shop and they replaced the SIM. Sorted in under 5 mins. The old SIM was locked due to lack of use, my ignorance. 

Message 8 of 14

pgn
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

Well done, problem sorted, top-up advice in my earlier reply still holds good. Success, after a fashion, @Neoff - and O2s lax (!) approach to cybersec will probably never change, their interest lies in getting every £ they can from unsuspecting customers - Caveat Emptor!

Message 9 of 14

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7768 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1641 Solutions

@Neoff 

Just check you don't get a contract SIM in the post. Some of us still have the suspicion you have been signed up to a contract

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 14