cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 text to mobile phone numbers - which label is legitimate?!

Aceruzzo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello could 02 standardise the title source of their texts to new customers?

Since 02 took over Virgin Mobile I am receiving texts from various sources requesting payment.  Examples below:

• 02 UK            One space between 02 & UK
  • 02UK             No space between 02 & UK
  • 02-UK            Hyphen between 02 & UK
  • UK                 No 02 mentioned only these two letters but threatening messages in the texts! 

They are all sending me a bank details link asking me to insert my debit card details and they all have inserted my 02 account number on the payment page. So which of these above are legit?  (I've also had other texts from even dodgier sources saying they've from 02 which I've ignored).

I'm so concerned about possible scams texts that I will only pay my bill via my laptop and using the official -02 website via the My02 facility, and then I take a screenshot of the message after I paid to keep in case of any issue.  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12607 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

You are not the first to point out the differing names on texts @Aceruzzo 

Perhaps one to feedback to @Dave-O2 ? Could we get one standard sender ID so we can ensure people know who they are (and more importantly, are not) to trust?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149132 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28467 Solutions

The issue is that text ID's can be spoofed in the same way as numbers can, so there's no way to tell.

If there are links asking after bank details you can be 100% certain they are scams as no legit company would do this.

Always use your own known links to vendor websites and never give details over a text or any other link contained therein.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 10

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @gmarkj and this is certainly something that can be fed back.

@Aceruzzo Would you be able to drop me a PM with some screenshots of the SMS you have received from different sender IDs?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 4 of 10

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7848 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

Looked at all mine. Network updates, account information (rewards add ons) and change of tariff are all O2UK

No other variations

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 10

Aceruzzo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello Enlli I'm surprised if you mean '02UK' eg without a space between 02 & UK.

The texts I was least suspicious of were those I received from '02 UK' eg with a space between '02' & 'UK'. 

The reason is this source sent me the random original password for me to set up My02 profile and it also sent me various security warnings and one time passcodes. 

I've now gone back over my text history with '02 UK' (with the space!) and it's the only source that hasn't tried to direct me to a payment page. 

Anyway, I'll still avoid paying anyone over my mobile phone!  

Message 6 of 10

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7848 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

@Aceruzzo 

From my Messaging.

As I say, all genuine

Screenshot_20231013_113731_Messages.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 125822 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

@Aceruzzo 

Mine is the same as posted by @Enlli 

O2UK.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12607 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

o2uk - bill notifications

o2 uk - security codes

o2-uk - security warning about security code

Not much confusion there then...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93943 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions