cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 surprises; no surprise!

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is sad to see how rubbish the new o2 surprises are. It was fun when you got a genuine surprise like free call time. Now it's 2 for 1 or a slight reduction re goods or services you are not interested in. My perception now of this service provider a lot less interesting; a factor to consider at phone update time!
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
But can you see how those surprises would have been useful to someone else?
At the risk of sounding like a stuck recording, its a lucky dip. There is a quarantee that you will win a prize, but not that it will be one you want.
Do people nowadays, not understand the concept of a lucky dip?
Message 11 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
prking, you are the worst apologist for O2 on here..
If those "prizes" aren't useful to the poster, such as free messages because they have that on their contract, O2 shouldn't offer them - it's not like they won't have these details on their system.
Message 12 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's no need to make it personal, although that was a very feeble attempt to do so.
You clearly don't understand the concept of a lucky dip. It doesn't mean you get a choice of prizes you like. It means you get a chance to pick a prize at random. It could be something you want or something you don't. Just because you don't like it or have no use for it doesn't make it 'rubbish'.
Message 13 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
If those "prizes" aren't useful to the poster, such as free messages because they have that on their contract, O2 shouldn't offer them - it's not like they won't have these details on their system.

Do you honestly think it is worth their while to track every user contract with all it's discounts, freebies, no longer available options, etc. to correctly calculate which prizes would be appropriate to each person??
This is pretty simple stuff as prking is desperately trying to explain... Someone sat down and came up with a series of prizes e.g.
- free picture messages
- free voicemail
- extra texts or whatever
For arguments sake say there are potentially 30 different prizes at any one time. You get your code and are allocated a prize at random. If it is useful great, if not so be it. It is a free prize draw that you can choose to take part in or not. You plays the game and take your chances.
You can't go to the fairground, hook a duck, win a doll and decide you want a football instead can you.
Message 14 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think part of the problem is that kids don't take part in Lucky dips or hoopla any more, because its 'boring'. They want to go on thrilling rides.
Their parents don't bother taking them to fetes and parties, so they never find out about things like raffles and lucky dips.
So when they come across one, they do the equivalent of stamping their feet because they didn't get what they want.
As you say, its actually quite simple really.
Message 15 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
A good surprise would be a free phone or 1 months free. They could be used by everyone.
Message 16 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think part of the problem is that kids don't take part in Lucky dips or hoopla any more, because its 'boring'. They want to go on thrilling rides.
Their parents don't bother taking them to fetes and parties, so they never find out about things like raffles and lucky dips.
So when they come across one, they do the equivalent of stamping their feet because they didn't get what they want.
As you say, its actually quite simple really.

Er no, it's not that simple. Let me say now, what I said is hardly personal - I don't know you. There are a lot of threads I've seen on here has you apologising for O2 when they won't do it themselves, even when their customer service is poor.
However, you have helped me elsewhere and I will say again, thank you.
Otherwise, let's look at O2 Treats shall we? It used to be that we were offered extra bolt-ons, all things we could use. The last time I called that line, and I gave up on it quite quickly, we were offered discounts on products which weren't really discounts and readily available elsewhere.
Instead of O2 offering things which cost them, they then offered things from third-parties which made them money. That's fine if a company wants to offer that, because you can opt out, but don't pretend that you're doing me a favour because you're really not.
Message 17 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Instead of O2 offering things which cost them, they then offered things from third-parties which made them money.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that their 'offers' are not now less useful and less worthwhile. This thread began by someone suggesting that they should be able to repeatedly hook a duck to choose what prize they got by chance. I think prking was suggesting that the concept of winning something at random, whether useful to you or not, was quite simple.
That's fine if a company wants to offer that, because you can opt out, but don't pretend that you're doing me a favour because you're really not.

In respect to your point is that not pretty much the definition of retail marketing?
Message 18 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
You say its not personal and then launch into an attack on me. You don't seem to be able to understand that someone can have a different view of something without accusing them of being an apologist.
Its a discussion forum, if you don't agree with someone then present a convincing argument for your opinion.
And why are you going on about treats? As others have pointed out to you, you have wandered far off track. Quite illogical.
Message 19 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
At the risk of being lambasted, I have been playing Surprises since it started, winning nothing that was of use but not really minding. Today though, it offered 2 for 1 theatre tickets which I am interested in. The link that offered a chance to check out this offer didn't work, even though I clicked on it 3 times, waiting in between each click. I took a chance (okay - it was a chance) and pressed collect - only to find out there is nothing anywhere near my region and the nearest is 250 miles away. There ARE people who live in the North of England too...
Message 20 of 35