Did you mean: 

02 Travel - what's the point?

mattjd
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all

I'm off to New York in 6wks and after seeing the 02 Travel bolt-on I thought it might be useful (for getting an Uber or checking out tourist attractions whilst out and about). But after reading the comments on the boards it seems to me that the connection speed is limited to 0.5mb/s and it's potentially difficult to opt out.

So my question is, what's the point?

The apartment I've booked has wi-fi so it seems I'll just have to be prepared each morning before heading out and then hail a yellow cab....

If I'm missing something please let me know!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattjd If you’re phone is unlocked you could get a local sim to use while you are there. 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
No, you’re not missing anything mate.
Use your WiFi when you can
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Gails2571
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I went to New York in January and had the bolt on for 4 days  which didn't work . I wouldn't bother with it.!

I didn't realize I had to opt out which is why I paid over £16 on my next bill

My daughter was with EE and was able to use her data whilst there with no extra payment required.

Message 4 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

O2's tariff and policy for visiting the US is outdated and is ripping customers off. A local sim isn't economical or practical if you're only visiting for a short stay. Also, some UK phones just don't work in the US even if they're unlocked. https://willmyphonework.net/

Three has their 'Feel At Home' policy, and I believe EE offer something similar. Not sure about Vodafone. The other network's policies concerning visits to the US are much more user friendly than O2's. The only thing preventing O2 from implementing a similar policy is greed.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 7

mattjd
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all: much appreciated! 

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable