Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Calling

lawsmed
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Here is something I have just learnt from O2: I have been a business customer with O2 for some years now. When I changed to O2, my WIFI calling actually did work. However, it stopped working over a year ago (for all of our iPhones registered to O2). 

I was told today that the reason for WIFI calling not being available for me/ us is that O2 does/may not support devices that have not been purchased through them, so with other words: WIFI calling is only available for customers who received/obtained their iPhones via O2 and not for O2 SIM only customers.

No idea when this policy was introduced but I thought I share this with the O2 community.

Other than that, I can highly recommend O2.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lawsmed
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you all for your input; I have raised it with the O2 support team again who now confirmed that it should be working. They are looking into it for me, so fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @lawsmed

Yes O2 are correct. WiFi calling only works on phones which have O2 firmware installed.

An interesting thread about it here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Wi-Fi-calling-not-working-on-more-8-from-cpw/m-p/1080196/highl...

Welcome to the forum, nice to see you posting Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

lawsmed
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for your response.

This just doesn't make sense, especially in a time where apps (like WhatsApp) are available for making WIFI calls. The link you sent is about Android phones not working and mentions that iPhones should work, well, iPhones don't work either.

Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@lawsmed

I know it's frustrating but that's the stance from O2 currently. It doesn't matter what make of phone, (Unless it's Apple supposedly) if it isn't bought directly from O2, which means it has specific O2 firmware, then it wont work.

If you read the thread it stated "O2 are currently in talks and working with the manufactures to also enable non standard O2 firmware handsets like the ones from CPW to also be able to use 4G and Wi-fi Calling".

I will tag @Chris_K to this page to see if he has any further info.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Just to pick up on something...

Wi-fi calling works with iPhones regardless of who they are purchased from, it's only certain Android devices that need to be purchased from O2 to work, however, it could be linked to a feature of your buisness account that means wi-fi calling is unsupported such as having call recording enabled.

ewan

Message 5 of 16

lawsmed
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you Ewan.

I did call the O2 business customer support today who told me that they have enabled all the necessary settings from their end. This is why customer support came to the conclusion that they can't guarantee that WIFI calling works with SIM only deals (apparently also included in their T&C's, which I never read).

I will play around a little bit more but I believe that I already tried everything.

I really appreciate all the comments in this community.

Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You've been told complete rubbish.
There is no O2 firmware for iPhones and WiFi calling works no matter where they were purchased.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

iPhones don’t have O2 bloatware. Simples never have done

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned above, you've been told incorrect information by Customer Services.

iPhone Carrier Settings are pushed out by Apple - regardless of the carrier, so all of the necessary software exists on the phone providing it's up-to-date.

If Customer Services are telling you they've enabled it at a Network level, but it's not available on Sim Only plans for business, I'd be quick to point out to them that on Consumer Sim Only plans WiFi Calling works fine and suggest to them that they switch you to a "Consumer" plan rather than a "Business" one.

Message 9 of 16

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

It is supported for Business SIM only, and its not as simple as asking to be changed to consumer.

However, there are some business only services that are incompatible with Wi-Fi calling...

"Wifi and 4G Calling won’t work with some of our other services including O2 Just Call Me, Mobex, Mobile Recording or Asavie"

Or it could be an old tariff, or even something silly like not being on the wrong APN. 

Message 10 of 16