Did you mean: 

Scam J1 Media please be aware

Stein-o-mite
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello

Recently I noticed I was being charged £4.50 per week on my O2 bill by a “company” that call themselves ‘J1 Media’. After googling them and finding not much info other than threads on forums of people warning of this said scam. I spoke to o2 help online chat and they could see it was a scam, basically from pop-ups on the internet. I hadn’t clicked anything or more importantly not entered any of my details to anything. I was given various blocked or dead numbers to call and an e mail. On emailing I was put into contact with a David Flood who I found is listed on HMRC as “director” of J1 Media so when I saw this I was 100% convinced this was bogus! After him denying me a refund I called him out and now he has backtracked.

Has anyone else had this? O2 are very aware of this scam and on looking on the internet, I can summise that this company has a few pseudonyms to hide under.
Message 1 of 34
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Stein-o-mite

Have a look at this thread and see if there is anything which can help you as well

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Stein-o-mite

Have a look at this thread and see if there is anything which can help you as well

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 34

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There’s a good site here for help too http://payforitsucks.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Stein-o-mite Are you saying you received a refund? 

You say you didn't click on anything, but if your phone number is associated with any social media websites, i.e. Facebook, it's an easy way to get scammed.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 34

phelpa
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I have experienced the same scam. Did you find a solution to cancel the charges?

Message 5 of 34

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@phelpa 

See this website too for help http://payforitsucks.co.uk/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 34

Nath
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Even i had a similar experience - I was charged £4.50 on two occassions but after speaking to O2 customer services (Online chat) - I've been asked to Text 'STOP' to 83463 and Allow up to 24 hours for the messages to stop. This is usually free but can cost the maximum of a standard rate message.

The agent has also applied restrictions from their end and i was assured these transactions will not happen again.

Regards,

Nath

Message 7 of 34

baincol
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I replied stop within 1 minute of this and o2 still charged me even thought I was on chat with them.. J1 do not deal with anything. Total SCAM
Message 8 of 34

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Call them and they will refund you a one off.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 34

h5n1xp
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I also had a mysterious £9 charge to my account, followed by a message informing me that I will be charged £9 per week until I text stop. I called O2 immediately and they offered a onetime £9 refund to my account, put a "premium block" on my account, and told me to contact J1 Media Ltd. to stop the "service".

I texted stop and haven't had a spurious charge since.

But I'm really not happy about this and want to find out exactly what happened.

Message 10 of 34