Did you mean: 

Retail vs Online experience

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone,

The internet makes almost everything accessible now, and you can get what you need delivered to your door, at a convenient time, wherever you live: as a result, it's a challenge for stores nowadays to find ways to stay relevant.

A recent article on the O2 Business Blog discussed how retail stores are evolving from simply a shop to a full personalised experience, giving customers a reason to visit in person rather than to do it all online. This could be done in various ways, and here are a few examples of current and future in-store O2 experiences:

• VR tours of O2’s biggest and best locations, like the world-renowned Haçienda nightclub in Manchester
  • Instructor-led fitness classes to test the full capabilities of our fitness technology
  • Movie launches, interactive DJ deck sessions and live music performances
  • Device set-up, optimisation and troubleshooting – plus hands-on demonstrations of new products

All stores have the potential to create such experiences; here are just a few more ideas:

• Department stores showing customers how an outfit would look with Augmented Reality
  • Car showrooms offering a preview of new models in Virtual Reality (VR)
  • Supermarkets live-streaming cooking demonstrations from another store
  • Video game stores bringing players together on multi-platform challenges
  • DIY stores using apps to match paint choices with furnishings
  • Record shops offering music fans exclusive content from bands and artists

What makes you buy online or in-store? Is there something that makes you go back to a store, or want to? 

It'd be very interesting to hear your experiences and views on this smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

You mention the Florida Malls for books @Cleoriff, for me it was Barnes & Noble Superstores in New York. I could easily have lived there. And yes, even with sales tax, books are far cheaper in the States. And as I read a lot of American authors too, it was great to get books before they appeared here.

Ah, those were the days heart_eyes

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
The other thing to consider with online retailers is the aftercare service that you experience when something goes wrong. I shop a lot at John Lewis, mainly in-store, but I have occasionally bought online from them. They may pride themselves on offering the best customer service, but whenever I’ve had a problem with an online order, it’s almost always resulted in my taking a trip to my local store.

To be fair, it’s difficult for call centre staff, who may have no specific experience of the product in question. It’s not that they don’t want to help you necessarily, it’s just that sometimes it’s easier to have that conversation face to face with someone who has a bit of knowledge about the product.
Message 12 of 17

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Now there I do agree with you @Anonymous with the exception of Amazon and Waitrose. Whenever I've had a problem with an order or something is missing or damaged in my shopping, I've always had excellent service from both; usually received a refund with no quibbling from Waitrose and an additional month on my Prime membership from Amazon. 

But I remember a complaint I raised with John Lewis, not about my order which was fine, but the delivery of the order. Never had a satisfactory resolution.

Never had a priblem with M&S to be honest.

Message 13 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Though on the other hand there is this excellent online after sales service from Asda.

I had a very large grocery order delivered Friday. When I got round to checking it there were 14 items missing. All chilled. It was obvious to me the delivery driver had left a tote in the van.

I rang and gave them a list of everything missing. No questions asked. Just apologies and a refund of £45 straight into my account with a £5.00 voucher to go towards my next shop

That's good online service.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 17

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

I have been an O2 customer since getting my first Tri-band Motorola from a Cellnet store. 

I think I upgraded by calling the Premium Support number a couple of times, otherwise it has been in a shop - O2 (different stores) at least twice, Phones4U shop once (it was right next to an O2 store who hadn't been able to get me the deal I wanted, when P4U not only got me what phone and monthly figure I wanted, but refunded over £100 quid for a free HTC One mini, still on O2, at the time!).

O2 online has never given me as good a deal as ringing O2 direct. CPW could never take me without moving me to their own billing system (cr*p) . Other web retailers couldn't get me what I wanted in time or without additional carriage charges (amazing how NI can be part of the UK, but still need £30quid for couriers to deliver here! rolling_eyes). 

I have bought handsets from Amazon and CPW, for use by family members on PAYG... never on Contract.

I thought I would recount my experience in the context of O2 and mobile phones... Dance

Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So here's mine @pgn

O2 PAYG for years. Always bought my own handsets from wherever. Even Ebay before the place became renowned for insurance scam handsets.

Had Nokias, and then fell in love with Motorola Razr's and Krazr's. 

The first contract I ever had was with my Samsung S3. Chose this as the amount of money I was spending on top ups in Spain was ridiculous. This contract was a suggestion by O2 CS via phone. It was for 24months. No Refresh at that time. (So I didn't buy it online)

After that I have bought handsets outright from CPW and Amazon. I went sim only with O2 and every time I renew after 12 months, I speak to customer services, I don't do it online. There again, I don't go traipsing to my local O2 store either Smiley Very Happy

I have also had superb deals with sim only. The last two have been 50% off for the first six months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
My experience mirror's @Cleoriff's to a certain extent @pgn. Also PAYG for years, bought my phones always from CPW. My first phone was a cheapo Sagem, then I had a Motorola, can't remember the model but it was a flip phone both on Voda, then I got the Nokia 3310 my first O2 phone, which I had until I signed my first contract with O2 and, like @Cleoriff it was for the Galaxy S3. I can no longer afford to buy my phones outright, even through Amazon, so I continue on a 24 month O2 contract. After my S3, it was the Note 4 and now my S8+. I have never bought online. I always went in store, until my Note 4 which was purchased through Business Customer Services, as was my S8+ and my next phone, whatever thst may be. Would never, ever order online.

Message 17 of 17