Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating to USA - advice needed

Humpty
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I am relocating to the US but with frequent trips back to the UK. I need advice about the best phone set-up going forward. My goal is to mainly use some US network, but still keep my UK number. 

Details:

a) I have an iPhone SE, I think I unlocked it (I went through the unlocking steps and got a message from O2 saying "Your iPhone can now be unlocked...iTunes...", so am not sure whether it is unlocked yet or not!)

b) I have some old phones lying around, e.g. an old Motorola from a decade ago.

c) I was thinking of putting the O2 SIM in the old phone, so people can still call me on UK number. When I do this it says I need a Network PIN. Where do I get this? Will it work?

d) And then get a US contract and put the US SIM in the iPhone SE. Can I use any US network?

Is any of that a sensible and/or viable plan?

I did also buy a WorldSIM Duet on the plane over. It's supposed to allow me to use two SIMs, maybe put the O2 SIM in that instead of the Motorola. If I can get it to work.

Other possibilities would be:

a) Start afresh with a whole new US phone and contract.

b) Get a dual SIM phone.

c) Give O2 lots of money for some bolt on.

Confused, exhausted and jetlagged! ANy advice much appreciated.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Humpty 

The old Motorola is locked to a different network. You need to find out which one and get them to unlock it. 

Your iPhone will work with any GSM SIM in the world, so that's only AT&T or TMobile in USA. 

Your dual SIM phone should handle both UK and USA GSM SIM cards too.

Call charges for USA can be found here https://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Humpty 

The old Motorola is locked to a different network. You need to find out which one and get them to unlock it. 

Your iPhone will work with any GSM SIM in the world, so that's only AT&T or TMobile in USA. 

Your dual SIM phone should handle both UK and USA GSM SIM cards too.

Call charges for USA can be found here https://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 20

Humpty
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I never even thought that the old phone would need to be unlocked! So, I've started that process just now. (It's with AT&T.)

And useful info about T-Mobile and AT&T. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 20

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Hi @Humpty, welcome to the forum

A) If you've been the message in iTunes then your iPhone will now be unlocked and you should be free to put in another SIM card to use

B) The old Motorola may work if it supports the networks in the USA, and again assuming it is unlocked

C) The old O2 SIM will work for people to call you but remember you do get charged if people call you in the USA so charges will rack up quite quickly, and theoretically you can only roam for up to 90 days at any one time, after which they can disconnect you until you get back to the UK

D) As per @MI5 comments for the iPhone in the USA

The WorldSim Duet is an interesting device, but its quite bulky, and I'd be intrigued to see if that works with iPhone with it being over Bluetooth.
Message 4 of 20

Humpty
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

B) AT&T said they didn't have enough info to unlock the phone!

C) I didn't know that 90-day rule. So O2 just stop taking money from me?! But they don't take my number away?

Message 5 of 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Humpty  It would depend on how long after the 90 days you returned. You could lose the number if it was a considerable amount of time after the 90 days. You might want to think about changing that number to a Pay & Go account with an international sim. You would only have to make a chargeable call or text every six months to keep it active. If you're going to be mainly in the US, you need a US sim for data, as O2 throttle their data speeds outside the EU and your O2 data would be pretty useless anyway.

Edit: If you're not wedded to your iPhone, OnePlus make very good dual sim phones.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 20

Humpty
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Do you have a link for the "changing that number to a Pay & Go account with an international sim"?

I've spent four weeks trying to understand the US healthcare system. Looks like another four weeks to figure out the phones!

Message 7 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Humpty 

Link here about changing to PAYG and keeping your number

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
An international SIM would only be beneficial if you wanted to call USA from UK otherwise there's no benefit.
All PAYG options here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go
Personally, I'd go for the classic as your credit won't expire as long as you keep the SIM active at least once every 6 months.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 20

Humpty
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is all very helpful! Although often counterintuitive: Pay O2 hundreds of pounds a year and they might take your number away, but pay pennies on PAYG and they won't!

Message 10 of 20