cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 BoostBox - Why Port 500 and 4500? Are They Really Needed?

Townsmcp
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the Boostbox setup with port forwarding to the correct ports and correct protocols. It works well however I also have a Unifi Dream Machine Pro. As part of the setup, I can add a RADIUS server and setup VPN remote access.  However when I go to setup the access, I get a message saying I cant complete setup due to port forwarding of port 500 and 4500. Are these 2 ports really needed for BoostBox to work? If I dont port forward, will the BoostBox still work and pass calls to registered mobile devices? 

I am a bit surprised that O2 would be using ports that are rquired for VPN setup. BoostBox is a business devices and business's are more likely to need VPN's than consumers

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Townsmcp

Yes they require ports 500 and 4500 , as it creates a Secure connection back to the mobile network, which in effect is a VPN,.

This works by identifying the MSISDN number and then passing that data from the Boostbox to the Secure Gateway on Ports 500 and 4500 to the Network Gateways and then upwards.

If you don't port forward then the BoostBox will cease to function.

Not sure how big your business is, but from your ISP you can request multiple External IP's such as a /28 or /29 ip range and use one for the BoostBox and for for VPN, as most companies dont have VPN traffic on the same external IP or Interface as none VPN traffic.

Hope that helps.

edited for spelling mistakes

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Townsmcp

Yes they require ports 500 and 4500 , as it creates a Secure connection back to the mobile network, which in effect is a VPN,.

This works by identifying the MSISDN number and then passing that data from the Boostbox to the Secure Gateway on Ports 500 and 4500 to the Network Gateways and then upwards.

If you don't port forward then the BoostBox will cease to function.

Not sure how big your business is, but from your ISP you can request multiple External IP's such as a /28 or /29 ip range and use one for the BoostBox and for for VPN, as most companies dont have VPN traffic on the same external IP or Interface as none VPN traffic.

Hope that helps.

edited for spelling mistakes

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 2