cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace a broken UK (O2) iPhone while in US?

Humpty
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I relocated to the US last year. Thanks for all the advice here re dual phones/two phones/sim swapping, etc.! I opted for the simple two-iPhone solution. I.e. A UK iPhone (O2) and a US iPhone (AT&T). 

MY UK iPhone is now dying, water damage. Is it possible to just get a secondhand iPhone and put the O2 simcard in and set up while i the US? I do use the UK phone in the US occasionally for certain tasks. 

I am anticipating issues with:

1) I'll need a specific iPhone for O2, which might have to come from the UK

2) There being no O2 signal(?) here it might not be possible at all

Can anyone advise what to do? Or might I have to wait until next trip to the UK. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Humpty 

Any unlocked GSM phone will happily take your sim card.

Just don't buy a CDMA device.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Assuming your SIM (UK one) is already active and you've used (as it looks to be the case) as MI5 has recommended put it into an unlocked GSM phone and it should connect to O2 automatically (or the roaming network in this case)
Message 3 of 4

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Humpty good to hear you got some useful information earlier to prepare for your relocation. Hope everything's been going well over there and you're keeping safe. slight_smile 

It would be great to hear back from you to see if everything went ok with the new phone and your O2 SIM or if you need any further advice?

Message 4 of 4