Did you mean: 

How to make the perfect Home Office 💡🖥🌵

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey guys,

2020 could not be any further from business as usual. For most of us it means working from home. By now we all have set up a little office area in our houses but if we are completely honest it is not ideal. We have looked into some tips and tricks to make the most out of your work-at-home area. But no matter how big your business is - if its a one-man-operation or a big corporation - you can get the perfect home office space.

Let there be light
silver-macbook-air-and-goose-neck-lamp-939331.jpg

You guessed it! The key to find the right work space is - of course - light. Positioning a desk by a window takes advantage of the feel-good benefit of natural light. Studies show that people who work in natural light are more productive, absorb more vitamin D, sleep better at night and have fewer eye problems. Light can also improve your mood.

If you tend to work later on in the day or you can’t set up your home office by a window, consider getting a good lamp - make sure you adjust your lighting at home so that it isn’t so dark as to make you drowsy and cause strain on your eyes, but also not so bright that it’s off-putting and likely to give you a headache. For bright ideas, you need light. It helps you to concentrate, reduces eye strain and makes your space a nicer place to work. Try a floor lamp dangling overhead, and a smaller table lamp for your desk so you can clearly see all of your bits and bobs.

architecture-business-clean-computer-389818.jpgThe right equipment

If you are thriving for a more traditional workspace, consider investing in a proper desk and an adjustable chair. This will be the heart of your home office after all, and it’s where you’ll be spending most of your time - a proper desk and a good chair can do a lot for your back pain.

Depending on your work, a laptop is usually more practical than a desktop computer, and it gives you the freedom to work from other spots around the house - aka the sofa!  – when you've had enough of sitting at a desk, it's an ideal occasional office. A second monitor is also useful if you need to spend a lot of time cross-referencing spreadsheets or researching. But nevertheless your workspace should be comfortable and inviting. Add a snuggly cushion to your chair and put a cosy rug under it.

Work smarter not harderapple-devices-books-business-coffee-572056.jpg

Stay organised by making sure your desk is clear at ALL times. Shelves and storage will help keep your home office in check. When everything has a place it's so much easier to find your laptop or the mouse, or that pen or… - you get it. Save floor space by dedicating one wall to storage for all your office essentials. Mix boxes, trays, drawers and shelves to create your own customised unit. Label files and boxes to keep everything organised and easy to find. Tidy space = tidy mind.

person-holding-white-ceramic-mug-4065886.jpgMake it yours

When you are staring at a screen and blank walls all day and staying indoors during lockdown it is hard to not get bored. Personal touches make your house feel like home, and help you to feel more relaxed. Accessorise your space with colourful wall art and posters. They'll add personality and character to your room, and might even inspire your work. With toy cars, cheeky vases and retro memorabilia around - it is hard to not be inspired while working!  And, of course, keep a sizeable mug for the much needed morning coffee at hand!

Go Greenperson-using-macbook-pro-on-table-3987020.jpg

Working at home is better than being in a stuffy office building, but you’re still indoors. However, greenery can help you bring the outdoors inside. Use a plant to bring a sense of wellbeing to your workspace and to blur the line between office and home. A plant brings a low-key source of life and color to any room. We are usually looking at computer screens or our cell phones, and having that green aspect is easy on the eyes and helps us feel more connected to nature. Plants will also create a feeling of calm, clearing your mind of distractions and helping with motivation.

Let me know what your tips and tricks are for your perfect home office! What helps you stay focused? What makes you feel comfy at work?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Interesting @LukasB 

However, I am now retired so much of that doesn't affect me.

On the other hand, I have spend a lot of time on the forum helping during the pandemic (along with many others) and I have to say, lots of natural light is a must for me.

Add to that a comfortable chair.

I've also found that I need to have frequent breaks. Get away from my PC and have a wander round the garden. Lots of water and never ending cups of tea.

Hope I'm not gatecrashing your home office work party yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

So right @Cleoriff - breaks are a must - just getting a cup of coffee helps and then you can start over again!

I am afraid I only have a balcony that takes 1 second to wander around on joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 4

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Oh guys @Marjo spotted this on the O2 blog and we thought it would be an interesting addition to this.

Ergonomics: How to hack your home working setup

shutterstock_623802113-1300x600.jpg

signature

Message 4 of 4