cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use your personal mobile device for work stuff (e.g. e-mail)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of my work colleagues have their mail linked to their personal devices (some people that are for example on call to respond to system alerts get mobiles paid for by work but most don't) and I find myself assisting a lot of people with setting this up.

My philosophy has always been, if my boss decides I need to be reachable by e-mail or phone all the time (they have my mobile number and landline of course) they can provide the device and pay the bill otherwise when I'm off work am off work.

So got me wondering, do you use your phone for work stuff if they don't pay (or give a contribution towards) the bill?

I will often stay late to finish stuff off am working on so I'm not a person that stares at the clock from when I go in until I leave.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Work is on my work email and my personal phone is just that.
I too like to switch off when not working.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Given the number of customers who have problems downloading bills or getting vat bills I guess thousands. Personally I never did in all my working life but a vast amount of time was before mobiles and when I was on call out my home phone was used and no, my employer never made a contribution because it was incoming calls only.

Message 3 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Don't you just hate that call that lands at an odd time, you glance at it and it's the on-call duty manager or similar?

BYOD can be a bit tricky, if I put work e-mail on my mobile, I have to register it so my work can remotely erase the device if I lose it - so no, no work e-mail on it.  But they can call me on it, and I can call in to attend any incidents where I am required to give input as the incident happens (hence my unlimited voice minutes tariff).

Work-life balance is so hard to maintain these days... rolling_eyes

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Then of course there are those of us who are retired. So that issue never involves us at all...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

No i dont .

We have a work phone in kitchen but its that old fashioned i rarely touch it.

On the odd occasion i will answer if it rings and cook not about .

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn wrote:

Don't you just hate that call that lands at an odd time, you glance at it and it's the on-call duty manager or similar?

BYOD can be a bit tricky, if I put work e-mail on my mobile, I have to register it so my work can remotely erase the device if I lose it - so no, no work e-mail on it.  But they can call me on it, and I can call in to attend any incidents where I am required to give input as the incident happens (hence my unlimited voice minutes tariff).

Work-life balance is so hard to maintain these days... rolling_eyes

@pgn

Yep, we have same policy at work.

Had people get quite upset about that, my natural response is 'well, just don't use it then' but of course I can't say that so I assure them it's only done if they let us know it's no longer in their possession and that there's only about six senior people that have the level of access to trigger a remote wipe anyway.

Message 7 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

The "only one compute device per employee" regulation can be a bit trickier, @Anonymous:

Manager: You have an old laptop on inventory, which should have been handed in, can you bring it in if it's no longer in use, please?

Me: Yup - sitting in a drawer "just in case". I'll bring it in tomorrow. 

Manager: Oh, and you have a desktop PC here in the office in addition to the current laptop you use when travelling or working from home. As per the "Only one device" policy, can we take the desktop that sits at your desk back too, please?

Me: Nope. That's got software on it that won't run on the current laptop, o/s specific. Sorry.

Manager: That means you've two active devices. Can't have that.

Me: Here, take the swanky new Win10 laptop, I won't need it.

Manager: But what will you use when we call you late at night?

Me: I'll use the desktop, when I've driven in (assuming I haven't had a pint with my dinner...!).

Manager: But you live a good 30mins from the office...

Me: Yup.

Manager: Umm. We can't have that, you need something with you at all times in case we call you in emergency, rapid response etc etc.

Me: And?

Manager: I'll have to seek advice, hang on to the current laptop for now. Bring the old laptop in tomorrow. We'll leave your desktop PC where it is. Thanks, catch you later.

D'oh!

Message 8 of 9

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

For work I have a Laptop, Company Mobile and webmail if needed.

Personal, I have just my personal stuff on there.  

Never mix 1 with the other.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 9 of 9