Did you mean: 

Business travel: experiences & tips

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Business travel has become, over the years, more and more normalised in our work culture. Some companies or positions require it regularly, to get teams closer together, supervise, review, or even to deliver and receive specific training.

Screenshot 2019-02-21 at 11.32.34.png

Although travelling is generally considered a very positive and enriching experience, travelling for work is slightly more controvertial. I read this article that suggests that it can even be quite bad for your health, unless you're approaching it carefully. 

It encourages anyone who needs to travel as part of their work to make sure they have healthy habits in place to mitigate the effects it can have on, for example, your sleeping and eating habits.

I was wondering if you guys had or are travelling as part of your work sometimes? If not, do you wish you could? What sort of tips would you have for anyone planning a Business trip?

slight_smileearth

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

Thanks for this post.

Yes, flying is not good especially regularly.  DVT is the obvious one.  

Eating on the hop and not properly inbetween travelling and meetings ~ also not good.

Driving very stressful especially long distance ~ Lorry drivers particularly vulnerable to ill-health from this.

Unfortunately if it has to be, then a person has to do it to earn a living or completely change their life-style and this can be very difficult to do.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@TallTrees I agree it can be quite difficult to balance out the constraints of travelling a lot and a healthy lifestyle. The first step towards balancing it all out if being aware of the challenges like those you mentioned - thanks for sharing those good points! slight_smile

Did you ever have to travel around for work in the past? And if not is that something you would have liked to do sometimes? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 7

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

My family including myself ~ travelled by car, boat, train and plane.

It is impossible to have a healthy life-style ~ the stress is far too much

apart from the eating healthy.  

We were aware but it is not possible to adjust things to suit.

Changed life-style completely for us otherwise we were going to die early.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

From what you are saying it sounds like it was a wise choice for you and your family, @TallTrees smiling Slightly off-topic, but out of all the places you've been to is there one you remember especially fondly?

signature

Message 5 of 7

TallTrees
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

A bit off Topic ~ love Beer in Devon absolutely glorious @EmilieT

The place! not the beverage innocent

Situated on the 95 mile long Jurassic Coast ~ Fab!

Rested there after a long journey (a journey of necessity)

I expect a lot of people have got to a place and never wanted

to leave ~ that's what it felt like.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 7

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

A bit off Topic ~ love Beer in Devon absolutely glorious @EmilieT

The place! not the beverage innocent

Situated on the 95 mile long Jurassic Coast ~ Fab!

Rested there after a long journey (a journey of necessity)

I expect a lot of people have got to a place and never wanted

to leave ~ that's what it felt like.

I've never been to Devon @TallTrees  but after looking it up I saw some really gorgeous pictures! It seems like a very relaxing place, thanks for the recommendation I'll keep it in mind for maybe a long weekend in Spring/Summer hugging

signature

Message 7 of 7