Did you mean: 

Business SIM in USA

PJB
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All

I'm off to the States next week on holiday so will not be using phone for business much at all. 

Called CS and it is not viable for me to pay for the add-ons as I have a personal SIM (not O2) that allows me to use my UK allowances in the US.

I have a dual SIM phone so was planning to bring the O2 SIM with me but not use it for mobile data at all and have roaming turned off, but when I spoke to CS they said if I used it for texts/calls on Volte I would not be charged as long as Volte was connected on WiFi and not on mobile data. Does anyone know if this is correct please? 

Many thank in advance 

Paul

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@PJB 

No it's not correct.

VoLTE calls are still calls from allowances which will trigger the O2 Travel charge.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

However, VOIP calls over WiFi would be free through apps such as Messenger and WhatsApp etc.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@PJB 

That's a new one on me I'm afraid regarding Volt as I'm not a Volt customer (Nor is it mentioned in our travel guide)

However if you use Wifi with Messenger or Whatsapp you will be able to keep in touch with friends and family as long as they have the same app.

O2 offer O2 Travel or O2 Travel Inclusive for pay monthly customers, see here Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

O2's data speed in the US is pretty abysmal. Many people find it better to use a local US PAYG sim from

AT&T mobile or T Mobile.

If you have a dual sim phone then you can use the local sim in your phone.

Bear in mind in my response here, I can only advise on O2 Travel arrangements.

Read the guide I posted. It may be useful.

Best of luck.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

PJB
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 for your advice and also for your very quick response!

I did not have much confidence in the chap I spoke to so just as well I asked here! 

So just to confirm, to avoid charges I would need to leave roaming off, not take any calls or send texts and not use mobile data . And if I only message/call via WhatsApp on WiFi I would be good yeah? 

By messenger do you for iPhone? As I have android.

Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@PJB 

Look at your tariff via My O2. If you check Bolt ons, you may already have O2 Travel Inclusive as it's tariff dependent. If not then go for O2 Travel by texting O2TRAVEL to 23336. It's good as a fall back because if you unwittingly use data roaming you will be charged hefty standard rates.

Messenger is fine on Android. Just download it from the Play Store.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

PJB
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff 

When I checked I do not have those options, as I an a business customer only have World Pass and that is £7.50 a day for the US and we are there for 9 days so not worth it!

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@PJB wrote:

Thanks @MI5 for your advice and also for your very quick response!

I did not have much confidence in the chap I spoke to so just as well I asked here! 

So just to confirm, to avoid charges I would need to leave roaming off, not take any calls or send texts and not use mobile data . And if I only message/call via WhatsApp on WiFi I would be good yeah? 

By messenger do you for iPhone? As I have android.

@PJB 

Facebook messenger or WhatsApp on wifi is fine as long as you have phone functions off.

You can put phone into airplane mode and then turn on wifi to be doubly sure you'll avoid charges.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7