Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wi fi calling

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Has anyone else been told that although their phone is locked to O2, that device does not support wifi calling because "It wasn't bought from O2".

I was told this in the O2 shop in Carlisle. As I had not bought my iphone 7 plus from them I was told that it was not guaranteed to work on wifi calling in spite of being locked to the network. When I pointed out that O2 wifi calling works on my ex vodafone iPhone SE this was shrugged off.

When I repeated the story to the staff at Stormfront it was met with great hilarity.

I have been assured by an online O2 guru that this is untrue. 

I have now been promised that the phone will be working by the weekend (following an unfulfilled promise to have it working within 24 hours).

I am losing faith in O2 quickly as I am also unalbe to get my bill altered to the correct amount despite a promise from a member of the chat team followed by a text telling me that my account had been credited. It hasn't. 

Has anyone had similar experiences and did it actually get sorted? My 14 day trial period ends on Monday and I could do with some reassurance that this is not regular O2 customer treatment.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Many thanks for your help Marjo. The issue is now resolved - I only found out when asked to reinsert my O2 sim as I has given up on the issue and was using the phone on a vodafone PAYG sim!

Many thanks again for your tenacity.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

All iPhones (6 onwards) are supported for wifi calling on O2 regardless of lock status or where purchased.

Have you enabled the option in your MyO2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Yes I have enabled the option but it switches straight off and gives me a message to contact O2.. As I described, my iPhone SE, which is ex Vodafone and unlocked, worked straight away. I have been promised that it will be fixed.
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Is the SE working with the same sim card?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Yes. I have just been told by O2 again that because the phone was not bought from O2 it will not accept wifi calling even thought it is locked to the O2 network. I cannot believe that they can get away with this.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Complete and utter rubbish!
Get them to check you have idata enabled on your account.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Yes I have data enabled. As I have mentioned, wifi calling works fine on my iphone SE which is an unlocked ex Vodafone unit.

I have cancelled my contract within the 14 day period because I am getting nowhere. The trouble is, going back to vodafone feels like jumping from the frying pan into...another frying pan

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Not data, idata.
It's a required bolt on for iPhone services but irrelevant now if you've cancelled.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

As O2 seemed to be trying to fix it I thought I would stay. However, as of today there has been no progress at all.

It's very frustrating to be told things like "We are waiting for engineers to call and fix the problem." There is no problem with wifi calling. The problem is with the phone. My iphone SE works fine on O2 wifi calling and that is an unlocked ex vodafone example.

Message 9 of 14

longwayround
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I went into My O2 to get WiFi calling enabled on my phone (bought from Virgin, first used on Vodafone, now on O2). The “must be bought from O2” chatter is just poppycock.
Message 10 of 14