cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking handset to any network

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just upgraded my handset and have requested my new handset be unlocked to any network. Any idea how long it takes for this to be processed?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Ignore any instructions on the email about connecting the phone to iTunes to complete the unlock. It's not needed now on the later iOS, simply insert a non-O2 sim card in the phone but not giffgaff, Tesco or any other mvno that uses o2. Just something else that O2 has never updated... 

Message 11 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12143 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
New handsets (unless fully paid for) normally take 2-6 months before they can be unlocked.
Information about unlocking here:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

Usually only 'flagship' devices though (particularly the new iPhones) @gmarkj. ?

Yes - flagship (new NEW) devices only.

I assumed the OP meant to a NEW iPhone and not a new phone.

Should have asked rather than assumed - school day for me and thanks to all for actually answering correctly!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
New handsets (unless fully paid for) normally take 2-6 months before they can be unlocked.
Information about unlocking here:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

Usually only 'flagship' devices though (particularly the new iPhones) @gmarkj. ?

Yes - flagship (new NEW) devices only.

I assumed the OP meant to a NEW iPhone and not a new phone.

Should have asked rather than assumed - school day for me and thanks to all for actually answering correctly!

No problem...I thought there may have been another change I hadn't caught up on....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12143 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1128 Solutions
No, only me jumping to a wrong conclusion!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous do you have an update on situation? Has the unlock request gone through yet? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I do and my problem is solved, thank you to all replies.
Message 16 of 16