cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlock process

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently bought a new iphone and put my contract sim in it. It is now showing up now on my account i.e. the imei number. I want however to unlock my old phone which I want to give to someone who uses a different network. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to do this. Following the help on here sends me to the page that shows my new phone not the old one

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Follow the manual process here
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Put the contract sim back in the old phone then you can unlock it via myo2

Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Follow the manual process here
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone. 

I recently bought an iphone from a from a buy and sell site on Facebook. I should've taken more care but saw the phone working but locked to O2. I got the phone home and tried to unlock it as I wanted to use an EE pay monthly sim in it for my daughter. I thought this process should be easy, just connect to iTunes with the EE sim in. Nope. The phone says the sim card is not supported. As you may of guessed I am not able to get hold of the little........who sold the phone to me. I think there may be an unpaid bill or something? My friends O2 sim works fine in the phone but all different EE ones do not. Any ideas of what to do now or is this just money up the spout?

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If your friends O2 sim works fine in the phone you bought, then it is working...but locked to O2. You can try and get it unlocked by following the info in this guide. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-c...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have followed this guide but iTunes does not unlock the phone! It just says the sim carrier is unsupported. I am unable to fill in a request form as I do not know the details of the person who owned the phone originally.....what if this was a business phone etc? Without any details it seems I am stuck? 

This is the message I receive both on the phone and when connected to iTunes..........

'The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.'

Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Buyva pay and go o2 sim, add £20 credit, make a couple of local calls, then fill in the unlock form with your details and the IMEI number of the phone.  O2 will then unlock it. Cost is £15 taken from the credit on the phone 

Make sure you get a sim card tariff where you keep the credit and it's not taken to pay for allowances. 

You want the O2 Simply P&G. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go/

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need to apply to o2 to unlock it first, then you connect to iTunes.
You can't just do the iTunes thing without applying first.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
But without all the details of contract etc I wasn't able to fill the form out. Now I know I can put a pay as you go sim in the phone and register it to me I can. Thanks for everyone's help. Appreciate it.
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If your friends O2 sim is a contract sim you can put that sim in the phone for a day or two and get it unlocked for free.
It would mean your friend using the phone for that period but won't cost you to unlock it.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12