Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to connect to cellular data whilst abroad

killbillr1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
i was in lanzarote december 2017 and couldn’t hook up to the internet, i could make calls but no data. rang o2 some numpty said all was fine there end and i should get data roaming, it must be the iphone.
after ringing apple, there’s nothing wrong with the phone, so back to o2. luckily i got someone who knew what they were doing, apparently my data package is iphone specific when abroad and had to be changed, now it works problem solved
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Yes @killbillr1 this is a common problem when using iPhones abroad. Remember when you get back home you need to change it back to what it was....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
As long as you have idata tariff and are using the idata apn it will work everywhere so no need to keep changing.
You only need to change the apn when abroad if you are on standard data, so if O2 changed it account side, you'll be fine.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5  I mentioned changing it back as I read your post here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple/internet-not-working-abroad/m-p/1096978/highlight/true#M158828

Which seems to be something that's advised often....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144299 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
That's changing the apn if phone still on standard data whilst abroad and changing the data tariff when back home, as explained above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

At least you got through to an adviser who had the common sense to check the data bolt on on your account @killbillr1, not many have.

Message 6 of 6