cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really slow speeds

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Ever since i got my ipad 3 mini the 3g speed has been consistently crap. The lack of 3g coverage when i am near a city is really concerning. Everytime i look at my Nexus 6 on EE i either have 3g or 4g. A lot of the time the ipad has Edge which is what i would expect if i was using on iPhone 1 in 2007! When i do have 3g the speed is really dire as well.

Here is a speed test using my ipad with 3g signal 3 dots out of 5

Speed Test result from SpeedSmart for iOS

Download: 0.40 Mbps
Upload: 0.37 Mbps
Ping: 148 Ms
Test Date: 10/24/15 - 12:12 pm
Connection: Mobile
Server: Nottingham, UK

A image for sharing can be found here: http://result.veeapps.com/19563859

SpeedSmart for iOS provides you with real-world speed test results taken in real-world conditions no matter how fast or slow your connection using.

Get it now: http://goo.gl/K0cQ0

Here are the same tests using my nexus 6 with tethering turned on, to keep it a fair test i limited the connection to 3g on the nexus 6

Here are the results

Speed Test result from SpeedSmart for iOS

Download: 5.99 Mbps
Upload: 1.81 Mbps
Ping: 52 Ms
Test Date: 10/24/15 - 12:18 pm
Connection: WiFi
Server: Nottingham, UK

A image for sharing can be found here: http://result.veeapps.com/19564034

SpeedSmart for iOS provides you with real-world speed test results taken in real-world conditions no matter how fast or slow your connection

Get it now: http://goo.gl/K0cQ0

These are results i would expect for a mobile phone network.

Is there something wrong with my iPad? Or is the o2 network over subscribed and underfunded?

I have had this ipad too long now to return it over the cooldown period, but if there was a way i could get out of this contract right now i would. Most of the time i take my 3g ipad out of the house i just end up tethering it to my phone, as i want the webpages i am looking at to actually load in a decent amount of time.

For other people that have an ipad and an iphone please download this app and share your speeds, as i would like to know what other people are getting. It could just be my area Mansfield (Nottingham) that might just be really bad.

Richard

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've kept a Three PAYG sim active for years as a fallback.
It's esp valuable for trips abroad now they do their feel at home thing.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I've kept a Three PAYG sim active for years as a fallback.
It's esp valuable for trips abroad now they do their feel at home thing.....

That is a good idea, the feel at home. Its a pity the other networks don't do a similar thing.

Message 12 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We are all wondering what will happen when Three take over o2......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
We are all wondering what will happen when Three take over o2......?

I would like to think that they would improve the ropey 3G coverage, performance that O2 currently has slight_smile

My main concern is, if Three will still have their All You Can Eat data option. Personally, I think something will have to give, perhaps have a limit on it.

Message 14 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
In theory the 3g capacity will increase but it will all depend on their mast rationalisation programme. Hopefully they won't remove too many of them.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 15