Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone not working abroad

Becs13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
When I went to Amsterdam in February of this year, on my way to Dublin my carrier disappeared and I did not have any 4g or anything. This followed through right through my time in amsterdam. I tried resetting my phone etc but it remained the same. When I got back I went to the 02 shop as I was going away on holiday again and didn’t want the same problem. The girl in the 02 shop said it was probably just the SIM card, so she changed it over and gave me a new sim. Still the same problem occurred when I went on holiday a few days later. She said if it didn’t work after changing it to a new SIM card then it was probably something to do with the phone itself and go to the Apple store if so. Is this correct?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You probably have a roaming bar on your account.
Call customer service to get it checked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You probably have a roaming bar on your account.
Call customer service to get it checked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122378 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Becs13

Could you make calls and text or was it just data you had a problem with?

If just data, you may have the wrong bolt on and it needs changing when you go abroad.... ie if your APN is showing idata.o2.co.uk try changing it to mobile.o2.co.uk or vice versa

You could have also tried 3G instead of 4G...or even searching for another network.

Just a few other options to consider if there is no roaming bar on your account...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

Becs13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No I had no service at all so I couldn’t send texts or ring people and my mobile data wouldn’t work either
Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122378 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Becs13 wrote:
No I had no service at all so I couldn’t send texts or ring people and my mobile data wouldn’t work either

It's a roaming bar then as previously mentioned @Becs13

Ring customer services and ask for it to be removed https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

They are open now and it's the best time to call....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Had another thought in this. It’s possible that your network selection is set to manual rather than auto as this will just mean it drops all connections when out of range of o2.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Becs13, have you made any progress with this since you last posted? Did the suggestions above help?

Welcome to the forum!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 7