Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 won't unlock my iPhone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

contract with o2 ends in 2 days

I want to switch to someone else

I have my new simcard - when inserted it says phone is locked

Spoke to o2 and they say that becasue my IMEI doesnt match their records (i went to the apple store a year ago and they replaced my old iphone 5 as the volume button had stoppped working) they wont/cant unlock it.

I have paid £50 a month for 2 years for this - in 2 days th ephone will be mine and I cant use it????

Does any one have any solutions???????

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you have been using this phone on O2 you shouldn't have to do anything else but fill in the form.
Check in your MY O2 and see what phone is showing and what the IMEI number is then follow the instructions in this post.....
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
ps - O2 have a legal obligation to unlock your phone so do not be fobbed off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

The IMEI wouldn't match O2's records because you're not using the phone they sold to you. I would have thought that if you took it back to the Apple store, they would be able to unlock it for you. Do you still have the receipt for the replacement?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

No 😞 it was a year ago and we have moved house and cant find it..........

Apple said to contact o2, o2 said to contact apple.

Don't know what to do?

Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get a O2 payg sim. Put £20 on it. Make some calls but leave £15 on it.

Then complete the unlock form.

Or ask someone on contract to put their sim in, make calls and ask them to fill out the unlock form.
Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

How come this will work? I will give it a go but just interested to know......

Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
An iPhone does not have to be on the network for 12 months like other phones on payg so pick up a payg sim, register it and make calls to latch its imei number to your payg account.

Same with another person on a contract. They make the calls to latch the imei and request the unlock. Difference is its free for contact customers.
Message 6 of 26

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

So why didn't the phone's IMEI latch onto the OP's contract sim? He's been using the phone with that sim for a year. Why should he have to spend extra money on a PAYG sim to unlock the phone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you have been using this phone on O2 you shouldn't have to do anything else but fill in the form.
Check in your MY O2 and see what phone is showing and what the IMEI number is then follow the instructions in this post.....
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
ps - O2 have a legal obligation to unlock your phone so do not be fobbed off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
They don't Bambino.

It's a choice and another avenue to choose that's all.
Message 9 of 26

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If MI5's suggestion is correct, which I suspect it is, spending money on a PAYG sim that the OP doesn't need doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 26