cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 customers - media message charges BEWARE

Anonymous
Not applicable

***WARNING TO ALL USERS OF iphone on o2.***

I've just been charged £35.00 for sending text messages that were too big that o2 turned them into media messages. I've never known this to happen and have been stung for a huge cost for money I don't have spare 3 weeks before Christmas.

o2 have refused to refund as it's my own fault that I went over the character limit.

I am not renewing my contract as a result as this is the worst customer service I've known. I'll be posting this on Twitter and Facebook too so that other people don't find themselves with huge bills. Pass on the word also. These companies are very willing to take money in ways that I don't feel are transparent enough. Terrible customer service.

Don't let this happen to you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It's already been covered here before, nothing new, and yes, it is your fault.... You can turn it off on your phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I do that?

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Go to Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging>Off
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Ridiculous accusation, especially as you have no idea why it happened or how to fix it!

If you had simply asked for advice:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,T=guruCase,VARSET_COBJID=52283,P...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
While I agree you could have avoided it I would try again with O2 I have heard of them refunding may take a few calls
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

***WARNING TO ALL USERS OF iphone on o2.***

I've just been charged £35.00 for sending text messages that were too big that o2 turned them into media messages. I've never known this to happen and have been stung for a huge cost for money I don't have spare 3 weeks before Christmas.

o2 have refused to refund as it's my own fault that I went over the character limit.

I am not renewing my contract as a result as this is the worst customer service I've known. I'll be posting this on Twitter and Facebook too so that other people don't find themselves with huge bills. Pass on the word also. These companies are very willing to take money in ways that I don't feel are transparent enough. Terrible customer service.

Don't let this happen to you.

It is all too easy to enter text in the Subject field when writing a message. Has soon as you enter text in the Subject field, that then turns the message into a MMS message, these are charged at 35p per message. I think this is what could have happened to you Karen.

O2 do not charge for text messages that are too long. A lot of people think that text messages can only be 160 characters long, this is not the case now. Some phones will split the text into multiple messages or some just send them as one message. I know with my iPhone, when I send a long text message, it just gets sent as one.

I wrote a video guide a while back, showing how to turn the subject field off to stop you inadvertently entering text into it and thus turning the text message into a MMS message. Although the video guide is showing how to do this in iOS 6, it should be very similar for iOS 7.

It might be worth watching this to see if this is the cause for your £35 charge Karen.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been told by one O2 employee that if I send one smiley face per month I will be charged £0.35. This is excessive and in previous mobile phone contracts I have never been charged this this.

In order to avoid charges for so called media messages, is there a list of all the types of media messages that you can be charged for?

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been told by one O2 employee that if I send one smiley face per month I will be charged £0.35. This is excessive and in previous mobile phone contracts I have never been charged this this.

In order to avoid charges for so called media messages, is there a list of all the types of media messages that you can be charged for?

Any message sent as an MMS will be charged.

Tell us what phone you have and we can advise on turning it off.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is untrue Gerald-Gordon.

I regularly send multiple smilies and I have not been charged. I hasten to add that I am not on a media message bolt on.

I think the reason you may have been charged is because you may have entered text into the subject field on the messaging app.

See my video guide/post a few posts above.
Message 10 of 10