Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

o2 3G coverage for the new iPhone

Hi, Over past few days I have used my wifes o2 3G Sim card in my old N95 and was amazed of the lack of 3G coverage! Is this this not the same problem as EDGE coverage, with my iPhone now. I travelled 70 miles with no 3G coverage. As for North Yorkshire, thare is no coverage within this county. Great that the new iPhone will be out soon, but the problem with o2 3G coverage has not changed. This has propted me to look at the o2 coverage maps on the o2 website and this confirmed my feelings. Jeff
Anonymous

My town isn't covered by 3G - I've just checked, so my initial disappointment that I'd only just bought the existing model is nowhere near as bad as it was first thing this morning.

I knew that the reduction to £169 was an indicator of the imminent release of the new model, but what I expected was that the new model would be more expensive, not less so.

Si.
Anonymous

jeffrey..

In regards to your comments.... ( and I dont work for o2)

O2's 3g network has improved but like all networks in some areas it will be patchy. My folks live in NY and I use o2's mobile broadband and got a 3g signal (They live in Harrogate and I drove to Scotch Corner without loosing 3g).... but just like any network.. coverage can change if your inside or things block the signal outdoors and speeds will vary on how many people use each cell.

O2 had to follow ofcoms regualtions inregards to covering at least 80% of the UK population just like the other 3g networks. O2 were slow on the uptake and as a result got a kick up the ass from Ofcom and told of a possible £41m fine. The other thing to look at is o2 has had to rebuild its network to cope with 3g, other networks share cell sites giving them half the cost and half the usage... O2 have said it will roll out a better 3g service but I think it will take time as they have to change some equiment in certain sites.

It is in o2 best interest to make a better 3/3.5g network not just for the iphone but for their mobile broadband product.. but I would imagine they will roll it out to large populated areas first....

As for the new iphone been cheaper.... whilst it was a nice gesture from o2 to reduce the handset logic would have said wait.... it was always the case the reason why the Iphone didnt sell as well in the UK was due to the price and not being 3g.. but at least people can upgrade and in some cases for free....
Anonymous

Hi, I was under the immpession that 3G would free us of Wi-Fi, while on the move for business. "Mobile Me" looks great and would be very interested, but no good if I am not able to use it! When I buy a toaster I don't expect to travel miles to find a Supermarket that sells bread! Why promote a product if you can not support it, we are now back to the same problem with EDGE when I was one of the first to buy the iPhone. Jeff
Anonymous

The reason why Bt Openzone and the cloud will be there is to increase areas where the local cell site maybe busy or in your case where you may not have a full 3g service at the moment. Some BT payphone and other companies offer BT openzone which is a faster speed than the edge... Wifi will always be faster than 3g as the speed you get from a 3g mast varies on how many people use that sell at any one time...

The other reason the iphone needs wifi is for its A-GPS

The other thing is ... o2 were naughty and stopped updating the edge at an early date, they have to continue to grow and push 3g HSDPA to get the consumer and growth