Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Apple

Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Has anyone else had the following problem?

When browsing the internet on 2 occasions now my iphone has gone completly blank and not responded to any touches of the screen or buttons being pressed. On the first occasion after placing it in the dock it came back on. The second time it happended even placing it in the dock did not work. After speaking to the Apple helpline they advised I return to where I bought it (O2 store) and get them to check it for faults. After going out the back of the store the staff memebr return with my iphone working again. After asking what was wrong and what he did he grinned and said it was magic.....I was not best pleased with this answer and demanded to know what was wrong with my iphone. He could not tell me and all he could say was when it happens just press the home key and power on key together and this will solve it.

After spending nearly £330 on a product I don't think a quick fix like this is appropriate and find it odd that they cannoty tell me what is wrong. Am I being fussy here? Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

I know someone who experienced a similar problem, took it to an Apple Store and it was replaced no questions asked. Suggest you try and do the same... if there's no Apple stores nearby go to an O2 store and request a replacement and remind them it's an intermittant fault and cannot always be replicated in store and see how you get on.
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Thanks for the reply.

It was an O2 store that I took it back to. I think I'm going to phone Apple tonight and see if it is possible to take it to their store as I find them to be much more help than O2. Not sure if they will be too happy to do this though seeing as O2 sold me the product. Do you know where I would stand legally on requesting a replacement?

Cheers

Matt
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Apple store will replace it irrespective of where it was bought (as long as it's a UK iPhone and not a grey import Smiley Wink)
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Thanks for that that is good to know as I don't hold up much faith with the O2 customer services or their stores ever since I've purchased the phone they don't seem interested.
Have spoke to Apple again today and they suggest restoring the factory settings and seeing if that sorts out the problem. Would still be nice to know what is wrong as feels like I've got a dud handset.

Matt
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Hi had the same sort of issue with my handset a few months ago. I see you are in benfleet, I would log on to the apple support page and book an appointment with a genius at either Lakeside or Bluewater. You can book up to around three days ahead, these guys are great if they dont sort it they just replace it.

I dont mean to be rude to o2 staff but they really dont know anything about Iphone software or hardware. I would call o2's iphone help desk too and ask for a reference number. When you go into apple they will have all the details ready on the system saves having to go through it all again.
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Thanks for your reply,

I tried the iphone in the Lakeside store and they were very helpful and then for some reason bought it from O2 as I wanted to query bolt ons at the time. Still lesson learnt there. How do I book the appointment as I def now want to do this as I want to get to the bottom of the problem not just mask over it, do I phone the store direct or go through the helpline as I've just phoned them and they don't want to know now until I've restored my phone.

Cheers

Matt
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

Do a full restore first, not least because it means you're not giving Apple all your personal details on your iPhone... Then pop over to http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/ and book an appointment at your nearest store (for lakeside you can go straight to http://concierge.apple.com/store/R242) Smiley Happy

The people on the 0870 Apple number are not the same as the retail store staff, who tend to be really nice and go out of their way to help - I've had my iPhone replaced no questions asked because of a slight localised flicker on the screen and a collegue had his replaced simply because it didn't seem as responsive as it used to Smiley Happy
Anonymous

iphone cutting out

That's great thanks for all your help it's been very much appriciated.

Matt